Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 986

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      >Obviously, they aren't all like this. Several royal household rolls
      >are obsessively complete, for example. But you can no more accept an
      >average medieval inventory as "evidence of absence" -- or indeed
      >relative frequency -- than you can anything else.

      I picked up a great book while in England: "The Secret Middle Ages" by
      Malcolm Jones. It is excelent!

      I give you the first sentence: "One day in 1521 the Mayor of Frankfurt,
      Claus Stalburg, known as "The Rich", sat down at a table in his elegant
      town home and drew up an inventory of all the biscuit moulds he owned.

      The number of observations the author draws from this inventroy is
      impresive.

      Avery
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer
        <avery1415@...> wrote:

        > >Obviously, they aren't all like this. Several royal household rolls
        > >are obsessively complete, for example. But you can no more accept an
        > >average medieval inventory as "evidence of absence" -- or indeed
        > >relative frequency -- than you can anything else.
        >
        > I picked up a great book while in England: "The Secret Middle Ages" by
        > Malcolm Jones. It is excelent!
        >
        > I give you the first sentence: "One day in 1521 the Mayor of Frankfurt,
        > Claus Stalburg, known as "The Rich", sat down at a table in his elegant
        > town home and drew up an inventory of all the biscuit moulds he owned.

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750926856/qid=1144008476/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-9155906-6145449?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

        Ralg
        AnTir