Re: [MedievalSawdust] The Woodworking Channel

  • Bruce S. R. Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      I can get it back to the early 19th Century - sharkskin sandpaper was
      a minor industry in Colonial Australia, at least at Eden in NSW. The
      shore whalers used to hunt sharks for their skin in between the
      periodic whale migrations. The tool used looks like a 'Koran stand'
      with a short chisel shaped blade hammered into one leaf - the blade
      was used to start the cut under the skin, then the flap was gripped
      between the jaws at the other end & ripped off in a sheet. It was
      then scraped & dried before being sent off to market in Sydney.

      The other major use of shark skin was 'shagreen' - originally donkey
      skin, the name became attached to shark or ray skin used for wrapping
      sword handles - which gets it back to the 1600's in places like
      Poland where it seems to have been used on sabre handles.

      As to where a Black Forest woodworker would get his supply, probably
      from the same merchant who sold him a barrel of salt cod.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac
      Sydney/Australia