Re: "Merry Rose - Mary Rose? - was whats up?

  • Nigel Plum
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hi there I'm a newb, I make dagger & bollock knife handles in the UK.

      While the Mary Rose is great I have to say if you ever have the
      chance to visit Stockholm & see the Vasa don't hesitate. Apparently
      what ever it is that eats ships doesn't live in the baltic because
      it's too cold. Essentially they plugged a few holes pumped the hull
      out & floated the vasa to dry dock. -they even got the sails!

      The Mary Rose came up in bits. I have to swallow national pride to
      say that it's not a patch on the Vasa.

      Cheers, Nigel

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...>
      > David Rizzico <sirgodfried@...> wrote:
      > Merry Rose is the name of Henry the VIII ship that sunk
      in the Thames river when it was launched they found it a several
      years ago and raised it. They found all kinds of artifacts in it
      that where preserved by the mud. (like thousands of Yew longbows.)
      It is also the nickname of Atlantia's elist. (Similar to this group
      but hosted on the kingdoms own servers.)
      > COMMENT
      > Might I be permitted to post a clarification here?
      > With the greatest respect, I feel the Noble Godfried has
      inadvertaintly given the List "confusion twice confounded" - about
      the ship[s?] anyway. About the e-List "deponent sayeth not", lacking
      the privelege of subscribing thereto..
      > Sweden's Renaissance warship "Vasa" was the one which sank on her
      Maiden Voyage on August 10th 1628, forgotten for 333 years,
      rediscovered, and was then raised from the Baltic and preserved in a
      Swedish Nationally-funded and supported Salvage and Conservation
      Operation larger than any ever seen previously - and Project-led by
      the Swedish King, who had already gained an International Reputation
      as a working Archeologist & Historian.
      > England's King Henry VIII had a great warship named after his
      sister - "The Mary Rose". The ship had a respectable record of Naval
      Service already, - was a goodly age for a warship of the Period; and
      was under command of the Vice Admiral of England Sir George Carew, -
      when she sank in the Solent Estuary, [not the River Thames] during a
      sea-battle with the French on 19th July, 1545.
      > It was this wreck which was excavated and then finally raised
      during an huge English archeological exercise from 1979 onwards; -
      and it was from this wreck that the English Salvage and Conservation
      Team recovered, and conserved 138 longbows, and over 2000 arrows -
      which had been preserved from deterioration in the soft bottom silts
      of the Solent mud.
      > The Mary Rose Trust has commissioned the publishing of 4 thick
      volumes of archeological reports so far - the latest being "Before
      The Mast - Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose" - which goes into
      great details, with accurate drawings of examples of each Class of
      objects for use by the crew. I have been a woodworker for most of my
      life, both hobbyist and professionally; and the drawings and
      dimensions given in this book are quite good enough to enable me to
      produce close-copies of the recovered chests, furniture, , and other
      wrought and turned wooden items. If I were as good a Smith, I'd have
      no problem copying the metallic items, just using the data from this
      > The "Mary Rose" longbows and arrows recovered and studied are
      reported-upon in great detail in "The Great Warbow" by Matthew
      Strickland and Robert Hardy. Their exhaustive study, comprising
      practical testing, scientific study, and mathematical modelling, as
      well as "approximation replica recreations" by the great Bowyer Roy
      King, and field-tested by the famous Archer Simon Stanley; - caused
      considerable - sometimes quite-acerbic - discussion in the World
      Traditional Archery Community.
      > Just my "purse-of-florin's" -worth, - with respect to the Noble
      > Yours in Service,
      > Matthew
      > ["Messire Matthew Baker", Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-
      > Motto - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" (Trans:-"if you wish for
      Peace, prepare for War") ]
      > aka. - Julian Wilson, - late-medieval Re-enactor; Herald,
      Historian, & Master Artisan to
      > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
      > [the Island of "olde" Jersey's only mediæval living-history Group]
      > Meet us at < www.dukesleopards.org >"
      > [input]
      > -
      > Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just
      8p a photo.