RE: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 984

  • Bill Mauldin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:05:45 -0000
      From: "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...>
      Subject: does anyone know

      what a slate frame is and how to build one?

      What a quilting frame is and how to build one

      iain

      Message: 7
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 02:51:09 -0500
      From: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>
      Subject: Re: does anyone know

      I have built a quilting frame(15 years ago now) and it in turn has help my
      mother make about a dozen quilts.

      A Quilting frame holds the layers(top, batting, and bottom) of a quilt(bed
      warmer/blanket) together so that the person sewing(quilting) the three or
      more layers can reach all areas of the quilt.

      It is simply two polls about two feet apart that are ratcheted to hold the
      quilt in tension while the three layers are sewn(quilted). It is normally
      supported at both ends to a comfortable seated sewing height.

      I can go into greater detail and get pic if needed.

      The one I made had hemlock poles(light soft wood) on maple spreaders feet
      and legs. It was braced and put together with pins and wedges so that it
      could be taken down and transported.

      James Cunningham

      My Great Grandmother had a frame she used with 4 poles. They were roughly
      1X2s with holes drilled through every few inches. She basted/sewed opposite
      ends of the quilt to one of the poles and then sandwiched it with the other
      two. She made it somewhat like a scroll and worked on a foot length or so.
      She held them spread apart by clamping to saw horses with C-clamps. Not
      period treatment. Many good plans exist and they are not all that costly to
      buy. Go by a local Hancock's fabric store. Ours has a frame there.

      Bill Mauldin/Geffrei Maudeleyne
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2006
        My Mother uses the same set up to get a quilt sndwiches correctly befor she
        moves it to the Quilting frame. When doing a Cal. King Quilt on the 4
        slats, it takes up the whole living room and you have to crawl under to get
        to the other side. Once in the quilting frame it only takes up 10 feet
        along one wall.