five tools

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2006
      Besides a saw and a hammer?

      A file. With enough time and raw materials, you can make anything else with a file.

      Brace and bit (I may be able to make one with a file, but I'm not that energetic)

      I would probably opt for an Axe, but that wouldn't be necessary as I could make one if necessary as long as the raw materials were there.

      Honestly, I can't think of much else I'd need as long as the raw materials were available. Hell given enough time and raw materials, I'd construct a wind powered generator.

      A really good program to watch on this topic would be the documentary, "Alone in the Wilderness". It's about a guy who moved into the wilderness in Alaska in the 60s to live alone and lived there for over 20 years in a cabin he built himself with nothing but hand tools. He didn't even pack in handles for his chisels, he made them on site from hardwood tree limbs. He filmed all of his work with a home movie camera so you actually get to see him building the cabin from scratch.

      Brian Broadaxe