Re: [medievalsawdust] What's up?

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 8, 2002
      And very well done from the pictures I ave seen.

      Greetings Conal my friend!

      Did you get those hinges?

      --
      YIS,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      ...Take time to dance in the rain...

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 8, 2002
        Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
        the locals have threatened to steal.

        Thanks for the tip!

        For those that don't know what we are
        talking about, check out....

        www.leevalley.com

        Conal

        --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
        > And very well done from the pictures I have seen.
        >
        > Greetings Conal my friend!
        >
        > Did you get those hinges?

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8, 2002
          Yep, I have noticed them come up missing on occasion. They have some nice
          stuff.

          I just spent the evening working on an oak table top, not period, but I
          agreed to make one for my dad. Now I have to tackle 'THE LIST'!!! Sigh, 15
          plus projects that have to be done before Pennsic. And now my wife wants me
          to make new doors an drawers for the kitchen. Good thing I like sawdust
          cause I am going to be knee deep in it for the next six months. Then I just
          got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
          Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book (ISBN 0811728544 for
          those interested) But, I gotta stop adding to my list, ........maybe if I
          get everything caught up.... I swear, the more I do, the more I want to do.
          Any Ideas on how to make the days longer?

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
            Then I just got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's
            "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
            Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book
            (ISBN 0811728544 for those interested)

            How about a book review?
            That's the second one isn't it?
            You do know that some of the measurements
            in the 1st book ( ISBN 0-8117-2795-5 )are
            off? Be careful with the numbers in this
            one too. Check them first. I think American
            Woodworking did an Article that corrected
            some of the information that was wrong in the
            1st one. I'll check into this....

            I've got to work on tables and benches for
            Pennsic, ( and then talk someone else into
            carting them around..... )and a new bed, and
            4 pairs of the folding coffer chairs and a
            single chair ( commissions )

            ( pics of chairs in photo area of the group page
            Where's everyone else photos? hint hint hint...)

            and a new gateway for Pennsci and a
            smaller tabel for events and a couple of
            chests and and and and and and and.....

            Conal

            ps Rhys, You wanna come down for the oaken
            A&S? I got crash space. Bring your lovely
            lady....

            http://mail.yahoo.com/
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 9, 2002
              A book review will have to wait a couple weeks, I got draggoned into writing
              a couple articles for Artes Draconis, and I only have about 2 weeks. But I
              would be happy to do one.

              I am making another of the Viking beds
              http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/bedplan.html

              as a gift/commision (I offered to make one for the cost of the wood). My
              Baron and Baroness are viking and really liked my bed.

              --
              YIS,

              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              Privateer to the Midrealm

              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
              ...Take time to dance in the rain...

            • vinlandar
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 11, 2002
                Conal,

                Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges you received? A
                good source of period looking and maybe even primitive looking hinges
                would be very nice.

                -Charlie

                --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 12, 2002
                  lee valley has hand forged hinges
                  I haven't used them ( the other project
                  was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
                  a budget...

                  got pic's of what you are planning?

                  Conal

                  --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
                  > Conal,
                  >
                  > Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges
                  > you received? A
                  > good source of period looking and maybe even
                  > primitive looking hinges
                  > would be very nice.
                  >
                  > -Charlie
                  >

                  > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
                  > <baronconal@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
                  > > the locals have threatened to steal.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the tip!
                  > >
                  > > For those that don't know what we are
                  > > talking about, check out....
                  > >
                  > > www.leevalley.com
                  > >

                  > > Conal
                  > >
                  > > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                  > > > And very well done from the pictures I have
                  > seen.
                  > > >
                  > > > Greetings Conal my friend!
                  > > >
                  > > > Did you get those hinges?

                  > > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
                  > email!
                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com/

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                • vinlandar
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                    Hi, Conal,

                    yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
                    drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
                    keep some of my stuff in.

                    stool:
                    http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                    Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
                    about half as long as this one.
                    http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                    I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
                    experienced woodworker.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                      If you are gonna go as far as
                      doing a reproduction ....
                      ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                      ... find a blacksmith and get the
                      hinges custom made. He/She might
                      help you make them, or just want a
                      little help with some grunt work in
                      trade.

                      Where are you?

                      Conal

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                        they are not Viking...

                        but check out...

                        http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

                        Conal

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                          Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
                          even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

                          HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
                          curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
                          artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
                          period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
                          Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                            Thanks, Captain,

                            I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                            Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                            to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                            little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                            the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                            passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                            there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                            toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                            would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                            the maker or the buyer.

                            Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                            that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                            the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                            stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

                            Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                            meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                            works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                            L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                            chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

                            If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

                            -Charlie

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
                              An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                              If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                              they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                              other items seems reasonable.

                              >Thanks, Captain,
                              >
                              >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                              >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                              >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                              >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                              >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                              >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                              >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                              >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                              >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                              >the maker or the buyer.
                              >
                              >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                              >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                              >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                              >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                              >
                              >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                              >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                              >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                              >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                              >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                              >
                              >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                              >
                              >-Charlie
                              >

                              >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                              > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                              >items. I
                              > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                              >items.
                              > >
                              > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                              >Christienson, the
                              > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                              >of viking
                              > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                              >items are
                              > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                              >Captain
                              > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                              > >

                              > > >they are not Viking...
                              > > >
                              > > > but check out...
                              > > >
                              > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                              > > >
                              > > > Conal

                              > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                              > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                              > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                              > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                              > >

                              > > --
                              > > YIS,
                              > >
                              > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                              > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                              > >
                              > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                              > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                              YIS,

                              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                              Privateer to the Midrealm

                              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                              ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                            • Scott Lane
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                                >If you are gonna go as far as
                                >doing a reproduction ....
                                > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                                >... find a blacksmith and get the
                                >hinges custom made. He/She might
                                >help you make them, or just want a
                                >little help with some grunt work in
                                >trade.
                                >Where are you?

                                I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                                :) Let me know what kind you need?

                                Aodhfin
                              • vinlandar
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                                  --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                                  > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                                  people
                                  > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                                  >
                                  > Aodhfin

                                  Ahodfin,

                                  Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                                  the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                                  and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                                  -Charlie
                                • Helen Schultz
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                                    These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                                    ~~ Katarina Helene

                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                                      Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                                      http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                      Will