Looking for a material source

  • i_griffen
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18 9:15 PM
      Greetings all

      I live in Atenveldt and am looking for a reasonable price source for
      some hardwood vendors that would have 8/4 or 10/4 material.

      Since I have never worked with Soft Maple, Cherry, Red Oak, Birds eye
      Maple. Is working with these wood like working with White Oak?

      Thanks for your help

      Iain Griffen
    • Arthur Slaughter
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19 12:38 AM
        Most woodworking magazines list hardwood verdors in the ad section. That
        would be a place to start looking for one reasonably near you. Each of he
        woods you listed Acts a bit differently. I personaly enjoy working cherry
        because it machines beautifuly. Soft maple is also a nice if slightly bland
        wood to work with. Red oak is a bit more prone to splintering than white.
        Birds eye will give you fits trying to run it through a planer until you
        get the hang of it. The price is also a bit steep for my tastes.
        THL Finnr

        >From: "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Looking for a material source
        >Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:15:25 -0000
        >
        >Greetings all
        >
        >I live in Atenveldt and am looking for a reasonable price source for
        >some hardwood vendors that would have 8/4 or 10/4 material.
        >
        >Since I have never worked with Soft Maple, Cherry, Red Oak, Birds eye
        >Maple. Is working with these wood like working with White Oak?
        >
        >Thanks for your help
        >
        >Iain Griffen

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20 6:23 PM
          How are you going to work them....turn, carve, inlay, instruments, toys,
          etc.? Each is better for some things than others. Soft Maple/Cherry is good
          for turnings, Red/white Oak is good for structural stuff, Birds eye
          maple... I have never even tryed to work.

          James Cunningham