[Fwd: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium article for March]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium article for March
      Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 00:32:14 -0600
      From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous@...>
      To: SCA-Arts-Sciences maillist <artssciences@...>
      CC: StefanliRous@...

      Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for March, describing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      If you are the editor of an SCA publication and would like to be put
      on my editors list to get this article several weeks in advance so
      you can get it into your publication, please contact me for more
      information. If you run an SCA oriented website, I also publish a
      version of this monthly article formatted for web publication. If you
      would like to get that, again please email me for details.

      If you are going to be at the upcoming Gulf Wars event next week,
      please come by and say hello. I will be staying with my barony, the
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad in the block across from the Ansteorran gate.

      I will also be teaching two different classes at Gulf Wars. The
      first will be my usual hands-on pewter casting class and will be
      taught twice. Once early in the week and one near the end.

      The second class will be on the Florilegium. It's history, what sort
      of stuff gets put in there, what doesn't, suggestions and hints on
      how to use it and how you can help out with this project.

      The Florilegium class should be in the middle of the week, but since
      the class schedule doesn't seem to be on the event web site, I don't
      know the exact times and dates right now. Please check your Gulf War
      booklet or at Information Point for the exact date, time and location.

      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
      article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
      it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
      more details.

      I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
      me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
      editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more

      For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
      another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
      the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
      overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the EDUCATION section:
      Hist-English-lnks Links to info on the history of the English
      language by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the CHILDREN section:
      p-cook-child-art “Bored? Period Cooking For the Next
      Generation!” by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre
      In the CULTURES section:
      Mongol-Rus-lnks Links to info on the Mongol Rus and the
      Golden Horde by Dame Aoife Finn.
      In the DANCE section:
      Maypole-Dance-art “Maypole and Morris Dancing” by THL Dagonell
      Collingwood of Emerald Lake.
      In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
      Curling-art “Curling” by THL Dagonell Collingwood.
      Played on ice by two teams pitching stones
      Hopscotch-art “Hopscotch” by THL Dagonell Collingwood.
      In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
      Hst-U-o-Aples-art “The Historical Uses of Apples”
      by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre.
      In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
      About-Marzipn-art "About-Marzipan" by Dame Alys Katharine.
      Sweet-Terms-art "Some Sweet Terms" by Dame Alys Katharine.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      Pennsic-leter-art "A letter from Pennsic" (in persona)
      by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre.
      In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
      Jestrs-Mumrs-lnks Links to info on medieval Jesters and
      Mummers by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the SCRIBAL-ARTS section:
      Beg-C-a-I-lnks Links to info on beginners calligraphy and
      Illumination by Dame Aoife Finn.

      Here are some of the updated files.
      cameras-msg Use of cameras in the SCA.
      p-medicine-msg Period medical practices.
      (Note that p-medicine-msg has been moved to PERSONAL CARE section)
      Copyright 2006, Mark S. Harris.
      Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
      if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
      publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

      Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas

      Artssciences mailing list