Sharp chisels?

  • gunwaldt
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
      Do any here have tips they would like to share regarding sharpening
      hand chisels? I've not had much success in getting my flat chisels to
      be 'scary sharp'.

      Gunwaldt
    • kjworz@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
        Well, what are you doing?

        Got a good grip to keep a constant angle or a honing guide?

        What grits are you using? Oilstone, sandpaper or waterstone? Flat enough?

        Are you careful not to dub your arrises?

        What kind of angles are you using?

        --
        -Chris Schwartz
        Silver Spring, MD

        From: "gunwaldt" <gunwaldt@...>
        > Do any here have tips they would like to share regarding sharpening
        > hand chisels? I've not had much success in getting my flat chisels to
        > be 'scary sharp'.
        >
        > Gunwaldt
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Trevor Payne
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
          I've honed a flat chisel on a diamond sharpening stone once. Worked pretty good.
          I assume are you speaking about wood carving chisels?
          I imagine as long the chisels are flat faced and not a round gouge you could hone them just like a knife.

          Aiden

          >Do any here have tips they would like to share regarding sharpening
          >hand chisels? I've not had much success in getting my flat chisels to
          >be 'scary sharp'.
          >
          >Gunwaldt
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          "Those who beat their swords into plowshares, plow for those who didn't"
        • Arthur Slaughter
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
            Use a honeing guide. I was lucky enough to inherit a white arkansas stone I
            find it excellent for bringing the edge up to shaving sharp. Another thing
            that may help is stropping with a decent rouge.
            THL Finnr

            >From: "gunwaldt" <gunwaldt@...>
            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Sharp chisels?
            >Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:20:30 -0000
            >
            >Do any here have tips they would like to share regarding sharpening
            >hand chisels? I've not had much success in getting my flat chisels to
            >be 'scary sharp'.
            >
            >Gunwaldt

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
              Get a good honing jig if you are having trouble. I like the ones that folds
              in the middle and will hold any blade to 2 inches wide.

              James Cunningham
              Who has taken wood curles off of end grain red oak.
              > Do any here have tips they would like to share regarding sharpening
              > hand chisels? I've not had much success in getting my flat chisels to
              > be 'scary sharp'.
              >
              > Gunwaldt
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2006
                The American Association of Woodturners is about (next month) to
                publish a DVD on how to sharpen chisels.
                http://www.woodturner.org

                I'm looking forward to mine.

                TTFN
                Ralg
                AnTir
              • gunwaldt
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                  My thanks for the responses.

                  > Get a good honing jig if you are having trouble.

                  This was recommended by another also. Recommendations as to where?

                  > What grits are you using? Oilstone, sandpaper or
                  > waterstone? Flat enough?

                  I've been using 'fine' and 'very fine' sandpaper, and a whetstone.
                  I've heard that mounting the paper on glass will insure a flat
                  surface. but I'm using a recycled countertop right now.

                  > Are you careful not to dub your arrises?

                  I don't understand this question. Please explain the references.

                  > James Cunningham
                  > Who has taken wood curles off of end grain red oak.

                  Yeah, thats the sharpness I'm looking for.

                  Gunwaldt
                • kjworz@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                    Source for honing guide... Garret Wade, Woodcraft, Lee Valley.

                    Dubbing your arris means rounding over your edge inadvertently. You are looking to get as close as possible to the ideal of 2 perfectly flat geometric planes meeting at a single point or line... the edge.

                    Using sandpaper can sometimes dub and arris as the paper has some give and the drit piles up loose around the edge you are moving across it. Leather hones and felt buffing wheels also can round over your edge.

                    You might want to use an even finer paper. 2000 grit or even finer. That type of grit hardly feels like sandpaper.

                    I learned ScarySHarp from these guys years ago:
                    http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

                    But I am partial to diamond and ceramic hones. I'm curious about the Shapton artificial Waterstones and may try that one day. One day I'll get a decent grinder like the Tormek or better.

                    The Museum of Antique Tools has a primer on sharpening here:
                    http://www.antiquetools.com/sharp/index.html
                    In that link it shows you another method and proper freehand sharpening skills.

                    --
                    -Chris Schwartz
                    Silver Spring, MD

                    From: "gunwaldt" <gunwaldt@...>
                    > My thanks for the responses.
                    >
                    > > Get a good honing jig if you are having trouble.
                    >
                    > This was recommended by another also. Recommendations as to where?
                    >
                    > > What grits are you using? Oilstone, sandpaper or
                    > > waterstone? Flat enough?
                    >
                    > I've been using 'fine' and 'very fine' sandpaper, and a whetstone.
                    > I've heard that mounting the paper on glass will insure a flat
                    > surface. but I'm using a recycled countertop right now.
                    >
                    > > Are you careful not to dub your arrises?
                    >
                    > I don't understand this question. Please explain the references.
                    >
                    > > James Cunningham
                    > > Who has taken wood curles off of end grain red oak.
                    >
                    > Yeah, thats the sharpness I'm looking for.
                    >
                    > Gunwaldt
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • gunwaldt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                      Great info! Thanks for posting the links.

                      Gunwaldt

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                        I got mine from Lowes.

                        The test for end grain cules is when the blade is laid on a arm hair the
                        hair pops off without moving the blade. You get one end of a 18 x 5/4 inch
                        board done, then back to the sharpening stone

                        James Cunningham