Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Looking for froe sources FOUND

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 23 3:55 AM
      The answer may lie here:

      http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hort/history/046.html

      >Me again. (Don't worry I am sure we will move onto something else
      >intersting soon.)
      >I've just managed to gte someone to look up the OED listing for froe
      >and the definition included the following :
      >
      >1573 TUSSER Husb. xvii. (1878) 36 A frower of iron, for cleauing of
      >lath.

      >> following
      >
      >Are you sure of the date on your reference? It would be good to
      >verify which is correct.

      Tom Rettie tom@...
      Heather Bryden bryden@...
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 23 7:28 AM
        The question was what the lath were used for? From the few froe I have seen
        it would make sence(sp) because the back of the froe would get beat up in
        the middle of the back of the blade. Not as bad as today where apprentices
        are allowed to hit iron with iron.(the old rule {that I cannot prove}is hit
        iron with wood).

        James Cunningham

      • ghalstead@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 23 12:21 PM
          The traditional (for the eastern US) instrument for use with a froe is a club made from the rootball and lower trunk of a small dogwood tree. I suspect that a medieval European peasant would have used something similiar (i.e.; cheap, easy to get).

          Ranulf

          > From: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>
          > Date: 2003/04/23 Wed AM 10:28:46 EDT
          > To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Looking for froe sources FOUND
          >
          > The question was what the lath were used for? From the few froe I have seen
          > it would make sence(sp) because the back of the froe would get beat up in
          > the middle of the back of the blade. Not as bad as today where apprentices
          > are allowed to hit iron with iron.(the old rule {that I cannot prove}is hit
          > iron with wood).
          >
          > James Cunningham
          >
          > > > The frower for lath would be strait...depending what lath were used
          > > for.
          > > I meant curved as in the shape of the back of the blade, as opposed
          > > to a curved froe that might be used on barrel staves.
        • Bruce S. R. Lee
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 24 4:17 AM
            I think you would find that the 'lath' was used for the infill of wattle &
            daub walls - think of all those 1/2 timber houses in town and country.
            Another use that would consume fair quantities of lath would be hurdles,
            where no suitable withes could be obtained.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney