chip carving

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 17, 2002
      Hej,

      Is anybody on the list experienced at chip carving? Know any good
      chip carving websites with instructional info or sources for chip
      carving knives? Anybody seen chip carving knives that look like
      period tools? I am told by one source that just about any knife can
      be used once one knows the techniques, but as I look at introduction
      info, it seems like they recommend a specific type of carver and
      stabber knives. Anybody got any good input to offer?

      -Charlie
    • ragnarironhead
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
        Charlie,

        Check out http://www.chipcarving.com - my Dad's a woodcarver and I've
        seen this guy's articles in some magazines. Looks like a good
        starting point.

        Bob
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
          so...

          Who's going to Pennsic?

          Do we want to get together and
          put faces and names together...?

          Charles, you have the most central
          camp, would you like be tha meting place?

          Conal

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Ted Kocot
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
            > Who's going to Pennsic?

            Me!

            Avery
          • vinlandar
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
              Conal,

              I am not sure if I am the Charles you were addressing in this
              post, but while i would thuroughly enjoy meeting you folks, I will
              not be going to Pennsic.

              I did just finish a wood chest though, a modification of the six
              board chest inspired by the mastermyr chest. I didn't do the tongue
              and groove joint on the ends of the bottom board to the sides, but I
              did angle the sides inward toward the top at 5 degrees, and the top I
              made out of 2x6 which I rounded heavily at the edges. I fastened the
              boards together using screws which I countersunk and filled the screw
              holes with wood plugs. I ended up using leather hinges, due to time
              constraints. This chest was pine, as it was a learning piece. The
              next one I would like to make out of a nice hardwood. I was
              pleasantly surprised, that 5 degree angle on the ends makes it very
              tip-resistant when one is sitting near an end.

              -Charlie

              --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>
              wrote:
              > so...
              >
              > Who's going to Pennsic?
              >
              > Do we want to get together and
              > put faces and names together...?
              >

              > Charles, you have the most central
              > camp, would you like be tha meting place?
              >

              > Conal

              > http://health.yahoo.com
            • vinlandar
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                Thanks Bob, I have done so, and that's a great site! I am going to
                look around to check out his books and videos. They look like what I
                need.

                Thanks again!

                -Charlie

                --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "ragnarironhead" <ragnarironhead@y...>
                wrote:
                > Charlie,
                >
                > Check out http://www.chipcarving.com - my Dad's a woodcarver and
                I've
                > seen this guy's articles in some magazines. Looks like a good
                > starting point.
                >
                > Bob
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                  I will be there, twice in fact.

                  --
                  YIS,

                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  Privateer to the Midrealm

                  Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                    I am...  oops... YOU already knew that...

                    Anyway...  my pavillion could serve as the meeting place.  When would folks like to get together?

                    camp, would you like be tha meting place?

                                      Conal

                    http://health.yahoo.com

                    Free $5 Love Reading
                    Risk Free!
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/NsdPZD/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/LmiolB/TM
                  • Beth and Bob Matney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2007
                      What are the earliest examples of chip carving in wood/bone/ivory
                      that you know of? Would really like to find a good scholarly
                      reference on the history...

                      Thanks,
                      Beth

                      On page 22 of
                      Laing, Lloyd Robert, and Jennifer Laing. Early English Art and
                      Architecture: Archaeology and Society. Stroud, Gloucestershire
                      [England]: Sutton Pub, 1996. ISBN:0750904623 9780750904629 OCLC:35360600

                      "The first manifestations of Anglo-Saxon art may be termed the
                      Vermand style, after a cemetery in France in which examples of it are
                      well represented (81). The style employs chip-carving - a technique
                      derived from woodworking, originally developed, like so many Germanic
                      decorative techniques, around the head of the Black Sea. This became
                      widespread along the Roman frontier in Germany, where it was taken up
                      by Germanic troops in the Roman army."

                      footnote 81: "Evison, 1965, useful general discussion."
                      Evison, Vera I. The Fifth-Century Invasions South of the Thames.
                      [London]: University of London, Athlone Press, 1965. OCLC:1354130
                    • Tracy Swanson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2007
                        Mangle boards were chip carved early on. In case you are unfamiliar, a mangle board was used to press water out of clothing that had just been washed. A wooden roller was placed upon the wet clothing, then the mangle board was used to apply pressure to the roller. The mangle board became a means of asking a lady to wed. By present her with a finely carved mangle board you showed her your intentions through the patterns of your carving - like the symbolism of the love spoon later adopted. Do a web search to find out the earliest dates.

                        In Magical Service,
                        Malaki

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 6, 2007
                          I did a search as you suggested, but could not find early examples..
                          (lots of post 1600 though). I'm looking for really early examples of
                          chip carving.. preferable pre-1000

                          Thanks
                          Beth

                          At 11:24 PM 10/4/2007, you wrote:
                          >Mangle boards were chip carved early on. In case you are unfamiliar,
                          >a mangle board was used to press water out of clothing that had just
                          >been washed. A wooden roller was placed upon the wet clothing, then
                          >the mangle board was used to apply pressure to the roller. The
                          >mangle board became a means of asking a lady to wed. By present her
                          >with a finely carved mangle board you showed her your intentions
                          >through the patterns of your carving - like the symbolism of the
                          >love spoon later adopted. Do a web search to find out the earliest dates.
                          >
                          >In Magical Service,
                          >Malaki

                        • Rebekah d'Avignon
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 6, 2007
                            That's going to be tough since wood tends to deteriorate. You might check Wayne Barton's books, I've seen some pix of early work in there - nothing before 1300, I believe.

                            Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:
                            I did a search as you suggested, but could not find early examples..
                            (lots of post 1600 though). I'm looking for really early examples of
                            chip carving.. preferable pre-1000

                            Thanks
                            Beth
                            .

                            The quantity of "civilization" possessed by a society is not found in its sciences, technology, or "quality of life". Rather it is found in the manner in which its citizens treat each other - in which case we are just "high tech barbarians".

                            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                          • Beth and Bob Matney
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 6, 2007
                              We have taken photos of chests (of about that date) that have rondels
                              decorating them in chip carving. Of other earlier surviving carving
                              (such as on early stave churches), I have not found chip carving and
                              was hoping that someone else had.. given the quote from the book that
                              I posted with the question. I'll check Barton's books (don't have any
                              of his) and see if he has earlier examples or others that we do not
                              have. Lazy I guess, looks like lots of ILL of German Holzfunde...

                              BTW. There is a new book out on Holzfunde from Haithabu (wooden finds
                              from Hedeby)... bit pricey with the exchange rate though.

                              Holzfunde von Haithabu (Gebundene Ausgabe) von Florian Westphal.
                              Gebundene Ausgabe: 248 Seiten Verlag: Wachholtz; Auflage: 1 (2007)
                              Sprache: Deutsch ISBN-10: 3529014117 EUR 70,00

                              Thanks,
                              Beth

                              At 07:30 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
                              >That's going to be tough since wood tends to deteriorate. You might
                              >check Wayne Barton's books, I've seen some pix of early work in
                              >there - nothing before 1300, I believe.
                              >
                              >Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:
                              >I did a search as you suggested, but could not find early examples..
                              >(lots of post 1600 though). I'm looking for really early examples of
                              >chip carving.. preferable pre-1000
                              >
                              >Thanks
                              >Beth
                            • Dale Compton
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 7, 2007
                                Look for items done by Durer (sp?) He is late period but did some really good work. Most of what he did was for prints etc. Other examples of chip carving where on furniture. I will see if I can find some examples for you.

                                Innis

                                At 11:24 PM 10/4/2007, you wrote:

                                >Mangle boards were chip carved early on. In case
                                you are unfamiliar,
                                >a mangle board was used to press water out of
                                clothing that had just
                                >been washed. A wooden roller was placed upon the
                                wet clothing, then
                                >the mangle board was used to apply pressure to the
                                roller. The
                                >mangle board became a means of asking a lady to wed. By
                                present her
                                >with a finely carved mangle board you showed her your
                                intentions
                                >through the patterns of your carving - like the symbolism of
                                the
                                >love spoon later adopted. Do a web search to find out the earliest
                                dates.

                                >In Magical
                                Service,

                                href="mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com">medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
                                href="mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com">medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com]On Behalf Of Beth and Bob Matney
                                >Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 1:00
                                PM
                                >To: woodworking
                                >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] chip
                                carving

                                >What are the earliest examples of chip carving in
                                wood/bone/ivory
                                >that you know of? Would really like to find a good
                                scholarly
                                >reference on the
                                history...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 7, 2007
                                  You may be talking about An Introduction to the History of the Woodcut (Vols I & II). I got mine from eBay.

                                  Dale Compton <DComptonjr@...> wrote:
                                  Look for items done by Durer (sp?) He is late period but did some really good work. Most of what he did was for prints etc. Other examples of chip carving where on furniture. I will see if I can find some examples for you.

                                  Innis
                                  .

                                  The quantity of "civilization" possessed by a society is not found in its sciences, technology, or "quality of life". Rather it is found in the manner in which its citizens treat each other - in which case we are just "high tech barbarians".

                                  Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                                • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                                    As far as I know, chip carving does not exist on early medieval
                                    furniture and other surviving pieces. At least, I have not seen it
                                    mentioned in the books, or saw pictures of it.
                                    As already said in this discussion, it does appear on chests from the
                                    13th / 14th century.
                                    I will check the book by Florian Westphal this evening (beautiful book
                                    by the way), when I am back home to see if I have not missed any chip
                                    carvings. Will also go through Barbara Grodde's book on early medieval
                                    furniture, just in case.

                                    best wishes,
                                    Jan-Simon

                                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney

                                  • kjworz@comcast.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                                      A lot would depend on your definition of chip carving.

                                      Does it have to be in wood?

                                      What we recognize today as chip carving has roots in the styles that matured in Switzerland post period.

                                      Every treatise I read about Chip Carving always say that "is an ancient method of decoration" but never cites examples. Citations, the lack thereof, is a bane to our research.

                                      Links
                                      http://www.caithness.org/community/crafts/chipcarving/McIvorandAllen.htm
                                      cites especially the geometric carving influence from Islam

                                      http://www.fifulls.com/site/837579/page/45030

                                      --
                                      -Chris Schwartz
                                      Silver Spring, MD

                                      From: "Jan-Simon Hoogschagen" <jan-simon@...>
                                      > As far as I know, chip carving does not exist on early medieval
                                      > furniture and other surviving pieces. At least, I have not seen it
                                      > mentioned in the books, or saw pictures of it.
                                      > As already said in this discussion, it does appear on chests from the
                                      > 13th / 14th century.
                                      > I will check the book by Florian Westphal this evening (beautiful book
                                      > by the way), when I am back home to see if I have not missed any chip
                                      > carvings. Will also go through Barbara Grodde's book on early medieval
                                      > furniture, just in case.
                                      >
                                      > best wishes,
                                      > Jan-Simon
                                      >
                                      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
                                      > <bmatney@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > We have taken photos of chests (of about that date) that have rondels
                                      > > decorating them in chip carving. Of other earlier surviving carving
                                      > > (such as on early stave churches), I have not found chip carving and
                                      > > was hoping that someone else had.. given the quote from the book that
                                      > > I posted with the question. I'll check Barton's books (don't have any
                                      > > of his) and see if he has earlier examples or others that we do not
                                      > > have. Lazy I guess, looks like lots of ILL of German Holzfunde...
                                      > >
                                      > > BTW. There is a new book out on Holzfunde from Haithabu (wooden finds
                                      > > from Hedeby)... bit pricey with the exchange rate though.
                                      > >
                                      > > Holzfunde von Haithabu (Gebundene Ausgabe) von Florian Westphal.
                                      > > Gebundene Ausgabe: 248 Seiten Verlag: Wachholtz; Auflage: 1 (2007)
                                      > > Sprache: Deutsch ISBN-10: 3529014117 EUR 70,00
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Beth
                                      > >
                                      > > At 07:30 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
                                      > > >That's going to be tough since wood tends to deteriorate. You might
                                      > > >check Wayne Barton's books, I've seen some pix of early work in
                                      > > >there - nothing before 1300, I believe.
                                      > > >
                                      > > >Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:
                                      > > >I did a search as you suggested, but could not find early examples..
                                      > > >(lots of post 1600 though). I'm looking for really early examples of
                                      > > >chip carving.. preferable pre-1000
                                      > > >
                                      > > >Thanks
                                      > > >Beth

                                    • Bruce S. R. Lee
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                                        In stone, do a search on 'Jesus Family Tomb' - at least one of the
                                        ossuaries has 'chip' carved rosettes. Photos are in the May/June 2007
                                        (vol 18 No.3) issue of Minerva, if you local library gets it.

                                        There are a lot of 'chip' carved designs in stone from the
                                        'Classical' world, just that the amount of surviving wood is very
                                        limited. I'll have to do a quick search of my Roman woodworking books
                                        to see if anything survived from Herculaneum.

                                        regards
                                        Brusi of Orkney
                                        Rowany/Lochac