Re: [medievalsawdust] Digest Number 165

  • Gary Halstead
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2003
      That's actually a form of axe used for rough hewing (there's a specific
      German name for it which I can't remember right now). If you look at
      the log behind him, you can see that it's already been notched in to the
      line. The carpenter will use the axe to remove the bits between the
      notches and then use a broad axe (shown in some of the other "Zimmerman"
      illos) to smooth the rough hewn beam.

      Ranulf