Re: [MedievalSawdust] good stuff vrs not so good was...Re: Tools

  • maria smith
    Message 1 of 86 , Feb 7, 2006
      ABOUT THE BEAMISH IRISH STOUT. wHERE CAN YOU FIND IT. IF YOU PLEASE.
      I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD STOUT. FOR A DIRT BIKE TRIP I AM GOOING ON.

      James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

      >> Hmmm, Guinness-Genius, Gunius-Guinness, gotta be more than a
      coincidence, looks like one is the Latin form of the other.  <<

      ... and then there be "Gnus"...  which, if they had one too many would be 'Gnus-tight'...  but this complicates matters so we shall drop it for, as anyone knows... "NO GNUS is good news!!!"...

      >> ... although Beamish Irish Stout (since they put in the nitrogen
      widget), is also a great choice when you want a beer that light cant
      pass through. <<

      Beamish Irish Stout, eh?   I don't think I've had the privilege before...  guess a trip to the ol' local booze shop is in order...  always looking for a beverage of substance!

      Chas.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 16, 2007
        Some years ago, I visited the Virginia Museum in Richmond with the lady who is now my wife. In the Mediaeval section there were several religious statues, including one of St. Denis with his head tucked underneath his arm (cue music about Anne Boleyn's ghost).

        When my lady friend asked why he was so depicted, I explained that martyrs were often depicted in ways that identified how they were martyred . . . at that time I hadn't heard the legend about him picking his head up and carrying it back to the church.

        A docent heard me and asked if I knew why another statue (I forget who it depicted) had these little glass or crystal panels in the chest. The identifying sign clearly described it as a reliquary statue, and I explained how the statue had at least originally contained some part of the saint's skeleton, probably a rib or two, considering where the panels were.  She appreciated the explanation, and it left me wondering how much more about the works in that section she didn't know.

        When we visited the Treasure Houses of Britain exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, there were no docents anywhere in the Mediaeval/Renaissance area.  I spent a lot of time explaining the armour, and both of us spent even more time explaining that the children in the family portraits were not all girls despite wearing dresses (boys not yet breeched) or that that was not a noble but a royal family (Henry VIII and all his children, who were never all together in one room like that), and so forth.

        But the armor and the paintings were right out there, and one could easily have touched them. My wife almost fainted a couple of times when I pointed out a detail in a painting, my finger about an inch away from the surface. "Don't touch it, don't touch it!"  Well, I wasn't going to, but there were no barriers to it.

        Ruefully
        Donal