Re: [MedievalSawdust] good stuff vrs not so good was...Re: Tools

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 86 , Feb 7, 2006
         The most horrifcly useless thing Ive seen yet would have to be the
      power tape from B+D, When I saw the commercial, I said, theres
      something you cant sell to a craftsman, but some else will think its a
      good idea and buy one for him.   Then I got one for christmas.  Its
      even worse than I thought, powering a tape in and out was not a
      problem that needed to be fixed, and the thing is way too big to fit
      your hand, and too heavy to hang on a belt.  Other than the potential
      for having powertape races, I cant see were I would ever use it. Its
      even worse than the scroll saw with a lazer guide, who do they think
      theyre selling this stuff to?

      Wow, good, so I'm not the only one who got one of those bright orange paperweights that you have to keep in a drawer and lay out on top of the tablesaw when Father-in-law comes to visit?

      Actually, I'd saw that it COULD, COULD have been a 'slightly' useful tool.   If it had a REAL motor in the thing.  IE, you push down on the button and it goes flying out of there fast.   And smooth, and in a manner that didn't want to make the ruler flex and 'crinkle'.

      Instead, it is a SLOW SLOW thing, and after about 10ft, it starts to get so bogged down trying to push it out farther, that it basically stops.

      Which takes it from 'slightly useful', to paperweight.

      And I'm sure he paid far more than I want to know that he paid for it.

      Siegfried
      THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
      Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
      Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
      http://eliw.com/  -  http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/
    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 16, 2007
        Some years ago, I visited the Virginia Museum in Richmond with the lady who is now my wife. In the Mediaeval section there were several religious statues, including one of St. Denis with his head tucked underneath his arm (cue music about Anne Boleyn's ghost).

        When my lady friend asked why he was so depicted, I explained that martyrs were often depicted in ways that identified how they were martyred . . . at that time I hadn't heard the legend about him picking his head up and carrying it back to the church.

        A docent heard me and asked if I knew why another statue (I forget who it depicted) had these little glass or crystal panels in the chest. The identifying sign clearly described it as a reliquary statue, and I explained how the statue had at least originally contained some part of the saint's skeleton, probably a rib or two, considering where the panels were.  She appreciated the explanation, and it left me wondering how much more about the works in that section she didn't know.

        When we visited the Treasure Houses of Britain exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, there were no docents anywhere in the Mediaeval/Renaissance area.  I spent a lot of time explaining the armour, and both of us spent even more time explaining that the children in the family portraits were not all girls despite wearing dresses (boys not yet breeched) or that that was not a noble but a royal family (Henry VIII and all his children, who were never all together in one room like that), and so forth.

        But the armor and the paintings were right out there, and one could easily have touched them. My wife almost fainted a couple of times when I pointed out a detail in a painting, my finger about an inch away from the surface. "Don't touch it, don't touch it!"  Well, I wasn't going to, but there were no barriers to it.

        Ruefully
        Donal