Goofy Tools

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2006
      I think the reason there are more cheap, goofy tools now is that people
      have more disposable income now and have been conditioned to want
      "more".

      >COOL... yea... my kid brother got me a 'laser level' a few >years
      back... ummm... nice idea... would probably have >bordered on useful
      it it hadn't been found in one of those "any >tool for $1.99" bins...

      Tip - It's not a laser level - it's a laser straight edge. The
      marketing people lie - don't trust them!

      As an undergrad I did laser spectroscopy development and got real used
      to having a 10 mWatt HeNe laser just laying around to set things up
      with. (The 8 Watt argon ion laser was not so useful for set up but
      great for starting fires.) Suffice to say this was before the
      ubiquitous diode laser had achieved market appeal and found myself
      wishing I had a laser for any number of projects where a 15 foot
      straight edge would have been REALLY handy.

      For that matter, I can think of situations where a powered tape would
      be handy, they're just not common enough situations fo me to ever
      consided buying one.

      And if you think overhyped, limited use tools are a new thing:
      http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

      Avery