good stuff vrs not so good was...Re: Tools

  • Jared
    Message 1 of 86 , Feb 5, 2006
      --- When you put it that way Finn, it sounds like your going to supply
      the beer along with the class, thats a great promotional idea.
      Just kidding.

      I would like to offer some info in a not-too advertising type manner.
      The store were I work has just picked up the Shop Fox line of
      stationary tools, they are exactly the same as Grizzly tools, (come
      from the same warehouse in Missori), this is not meant to be a plug
      for my store, since I dont expect to sell anything to anyone a great
      distance from the store. But I did just assemble a shop fox mortiser,
      and unloaded the semi with the rest of the tools on it, wich I will
      soon be setting up. If anyone out there is looking at tools in the
      grizzly catalog or from the shop fox line, I will have a close up look
      at some of them, and could lend a non-bias, close up view, that you
      cant get from looking at the pictures. I currently have several
      grizzly tools in my shop, that I am mostly very happy with. When I
      was first starting out, and wanted to buy from the catalog, I was
      sceptical of the quality, and talked to a lot of different people to
      try to get a better idea of what I would be buying. One tends to
      wonder if the grizzly tool could be just as good, when you compare it
      to the prices at your local delta dealer. If you really wanted to
      come to Whitehall, Wisconsin, in March I can show you some tools to
      buy, (we will be carrying the Bosch line as well) but that isnt my
      point, if anyone wants a close up opinion of this stuff, I will be
      completly honest, good, bad or otherwise, and you should feel free to
      ask. Im a little excited about working with these new tools, I will
      surely be buying some since Ill be surrounded by them and wont be able
      to stop myself, (getting a discount helps too)
      Not sure if that will help anybody, but it might.
      Jared

    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 16, 2007
        Some years ago, I visited the Virginia Museum in Richmond with the lady who is now my wife. In the Mediaeval section there were several religious statues, including one of St. Denis with his head tucked underneath his arm (cue music about Anne Boleyn's ghost).

        When my lady friend asked why he was so depicted, I explained that martyrs were often depicted in ways that identified how they were martyred . . . at that time I hadn't heard the legend about him picking his head up and carrying it back to the church.

        A docent heard me and asked if I knew why another statue (I forget who it depicted) had these little glass or crystal panels in the chest. The identifying sign clearly described it as a reliquary statue, and I explained how the statue had at least originally contained some part of the saint's skeleton, probably a rib or two, considering where the panels were.  She appreciated the explanation, and it left me wondering how much more about the works in that section she didn't know.

        When we visited the Treasure Houses of Britain exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, there were no docents anywhere in the Mediaeval/Renaissance area.  I spent a lot of time explaining the armour, and both of us spent even more time explaining that the children in the family portraits were not all girls despite wearing dresses (boys not yet breeched) or that that was not a noble but a royal family (Henry VIII and all his children, who were never all together in one room like that), and so forth.

        But the armor and the paintings were right out there, and one could easily have touched them. My wife almost fainted a couple of times when I pointed out a detail in a painting, my finger about an inch away from the surface. "Don't touch it, don't touch it!"  Well, I wasn't going to, but there were no barriers to it.

        Ruefully
        Donal