Re: [MedievalSawdust] good stuff vrs not so good was...Re: Tools

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 86 , Feb 4, 2006
      Years ago some friends were touring England, and went out of their way
      to tour the small, local museums. 'Cause they wanted to see more of
      the  "common" stuff, as apposed to the gold and silver they saw at the
      major museums. They wanted to see the brass/bronze/copper/etc jewelry
      that more people had.

      And as a bonus, you get to see the various mummified rats, cats, and other bizarre objects the local British museums are so fond of!

      (One of my all-time favorite museum pieces is the desiccated rat found inside the skull of some nobleman whose name escapes me at the moment... it's in the Salisbury & South Wiltshire museum, very famous.  Apparently there were rumours of foul play at the time of this fellow's death, and the condition of the rat is supposedly consistent with arsenic poisoning... How it got into the coffin in the first place was unspecified.)

      Cheers,
      Colin

    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 16, 2007
        Some years ago, I visited the Virginia Museum in Richmond with the lady who is now my wife. In the Mediaeval section there were several religious statues, including one of St. Denis with his head tucked underneath his arm (cue music about Anne Boleyn's ghost).

        When my lady friend asked why he was so depicted, I explained that martyrs were often depicted in ways that identified how they were martyred . . . at that time I hadn't heard the legend about him picking his head up and carrying it back to the church.

        A docent heard me and asked if I knew why another statue (I forget who it depicted) had these little glass or crystal panels in the chest. The identifying sign clearly described it as a reliquary statue, and I explained how the statue had at least originally contained some part of the saint's skeleton, probably a rib or two, considering where the panels were.  She appreciated the explanation, and it left me wondering how much more about the works in that section she didn't know.

        When we visited the Treasure Houses of Britain exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, there were no docents anywhere in the Mediaeval/Renaissance area.  I spent a lot of time explaining the armour, and both of us spent even more time explaining that the children in the family portraits were not all girls despite wearing dresses (boys not yet breeched) or that that was not a noble but a royal family (Henry VIII and all his children, who were never all together in one room like that), and so forth.

        But the armor and the paintings were right out there, and one could easily have touched them. My wife almost fainted a couple of times when I pointed out a detail in a painting, my finger about an inch away from the surface. "Don't touch it, don't touch it!"  Well, I wasn't going to, but there were no barriers to it.

        Ruefully
        Donal