Re: [MedievalSawdust] good stuff vrs not so good was...Re: Tools

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 86 , Feb 4, 2006

      >> Conal... of course the good stuff lasts longer. It's like,
      when people
      look at a home made 100 years ago and say "... They really knew how to
      make things then.." Yes they did. But wedon't see the homes they built
      quick and cheap, cause they have already fallen down.  <<

      A good point... but I'd also like to throw in the hypothesis that there actually is a fair amount of cheap stuff that lasted longer because folks were less inclined to the 'disposable society' that we have today.  There are a lot of old homes that are really *very* poorly built by today's standards but are still up and functional because they were cared for... and cared for because the economics of the time said... "Thou shalt maintain thy stuff that it may maintain thee..."  [Note:  the discourse of the tools...]

      In any case...  what would be interesting is to see at what point in time these ancient marvels started finding their way to the trash bin...  was it related to the time of their use... or related to generations distant from their use who found them to be "grandpa's junk"???

      Hummm....

      Chas.
    • JBRMM266@aol.com
      Message 86 of 86 , Feb 16, 2007
        Some years ago, I visited the Virginia Museum in Richmond with the lady who is now my wife. In the Mediaeval section there were several religious statues, including one of St. Denis with his head tucked underneath his arm (cue music about Anne Boleyn's ghost).

        When my lady friend asked why he was so depicted, I explained that martyrs were often depicted in ways that identified how they were martyred . . . at that time I hadn't heard the legend about him picking his head up and carrying it back to the church.

        A docent heard me and asked if I knew why another statue (I forget who it depicted) had these little glass or crystal panels in the chest. The identifying sign clearly described it as a reliquary statue, and I explained how the statue had at least originally contained some part of the saint's skeleton, probably a rib or two, considering where the panels were.  She appreciated the explanation, and it left me wondering how much more about the works in that section she didn't know.

        When we visited the Treasure Houses of Britain exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, there were no docents anywhere in the Mediaeval/Renaissance area.  I spent a lot of time explaining the armour, and both of us spent even more time explaining that the children in the family portraits were not all girls despite wearing dresses (boys not yet breeched) or that that was not a noble but a royal family (Henry VIII and all his children, who were never all together in one room like that), and so forth.

        But the armor and the paintings were right out there, and one could easily have touched them. My wife almost fainted a couple of times when I pointed out a detail in a painting, my finger about an inch away from the surface. "Don't touch it, don't touch it!"  Well, I wasn't going to, but there were no barriers to it.

        Ruefully
        Donal