stain / paint combo

  • logan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2003
      i just recently finished painting a ladys arms on a 6 board chest i made for her. now she tells me she wants to stain the wood a cherry stain. the paint i used is acrylic. can i brush the stain on being careful near the paint or should i try to cover the paint prior to staining? if so, should i paint a sealant on it or simply tape it off? any suggestions? i am afraid of the stain getting on the paint and tainting it.

      regards
      logan
    • jim
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2003
        Idealy the chest should have been stained before painting.
        I would tape over the painted portions before staining, and
        then be prepared to repaint anything that might have been tainted
        by the stain. It might be a good Idea to do a test on some
        scrap wood to make sure that the stain won't cause the paint to
        disolve and bleed out from under the tape.
        Once the paint is dry I would seal the paint and stain with a
        spray varnish(Varathane Diamond Finish exterior satin is my fav).
        A brush-on finish might disolve the paint and make it bleed.

        Smithur

        logan wrote:

        > i just recently finished painting a ladys arms on a 6 board chest i made for her. now she tells me she wants to stain the wood a cherry stain. the paint i used is acrylic. can i brush the stain on being careful near the paint or should i try to cover the paint prior to staining? if so, should i paint a sealant on it or simply tape it off? any suggestions? i am afraid of the stain getting on the paint and tainting it.
        >
        > regards
        > logan

      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2003
          Bummer dude…  an old trick is to use rubber cement as a masking agent.  'Paint' that on over the acrylic arms and let it dry thoroughly… maybe a second or third coat to make sure that you've gotten it all covered.  Then… stain away (I'd apply the stain thinly around the edges of the mask.  When you wipe the stain… wipe from the mask out rather than from the board to the mask… it will help keep the edges from lifting.

          One more note… test this on a scrap piece first.  I just recently finished a more modern project and the friend I was working on pointed out that the particular color stain (Minwax) said that it should NOT be use over mahogany…  no explanation given… just a 'don't do it" from Minwax…  strange.

          If you haven't already seen this… Minwax is now also putting its stains and polycrylic finishes in spray cans…  for this work you might want to buy a can of the cherry spray stain.  Its VERY controllable and puts down a nice even coat…  you can go light with the spray and maybe even further reduce the possibility of bleeding under the mask…

          Oh…  when everything is dry… rub off the rubber mask…

          My two pence…
          Chas.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2003
            thanks. ill give it a try. still trying to convince her to let me go ahead
            and paint the whole project with a nice milk paint but she seems set on the
            cherry stain. hopefully it will turn out ok. sigh....

            regards
            logan

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor