Old tools as a gift

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
      Question for all.  I was gifted a very old "Master Craftman" wood and metal turning lathe.  It is mostly cast iron and #2MT on both ends.  It has a simple stepped pully to control the speed.  However the cross vise that holds the tool post is not driven.  I see no sign of were the drive was removed.   It is extremely hard to turn a parallel shaft (a strait axel) and then it is only six inches long.  Am I missing something?  I have ordered a dead center and an turning dogs and some new cobalt steel tools.   I also need a self centering chuck for either a #2MT or a 1X12 thread.    The more I work on it, the smoother it runs.  It will make a wonderful wood lathe but I would like to work metal as well.

      James Cunningham
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
        I am not familiar with that lathe, but Grizzly Industrial has the chucks
        you are seeking. Just go to the Grizzly web page and they will shoot out a
        catalog to you.
        THL Finnr

        >From: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>
        >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Old tools as a gift
        >Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 04:28:45 -0500
        >
        >Question for all. I was gifted a very old "Master Craftman" wood and metal
        >turning lathe. It is mostly cast iron and #2MT on both ends. It has a
        >simple stepped pully to control the speed. However the cross vise that
        >holds the tool post is not driven. I see no sign of were the drive was
        >removed. It is extremely hard to turn a parallel shaft (a strait axel)
        >and then it is only six inches long. Am I missing something? I have
        >ordered a dead center and an turning dogs and some new cobalt steel tools.
        > I also need a self centering chuck for either a #2MT or a 1X12 thread.
        >The more I work on it, the smoother it runs. It will make a wonderful wood
        >lathe but I would like to work metal as well.
        >
        >James Cunningham

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
          I have a Grizzly catalog. I went to Woodcrafters today and they say a 1 X
          12 pitch is an odd size. I got a dead center, tools and lathe dogs to turn
          shafting from Enco Supply. I will start with turning pins for a haybine.
          Wish me luck.

          James Cunningham

          tools as a gift

          > I am not familiar with that lathe, but Grizzly Industrial has the chucks
          > you are seeking. Just go to the Grizzly web page and they will shoot out
          > catalog to you.
          > THL Finnr
          >

          > >From: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>
          > >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Old tools as a gift
          > >Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 04:28:45 -0500
          > >
          > >Question for all. I was gifted a very old "Master Craftman" wood and
          metal
          > >turning lathe. It is mostly cast iron and #2MT on both ends. It has a
          > >simple stepped pully to control the speed. However the cross vise that
          > >holds the tool post is not driven. I see no sign of were the drive was
          > >removed. It is extremely hard to turn a parallel shaft (a strait axel)
          > >and then it is only six inches long. Am I missing something? I have
          > >ordered a dead center and an turning dogs and some new cobalt steel
          tools.
          > > I also need a self centering chuck for either a #2MT or a 1X12 thread.
          > >The more I work on it, the smoother it runs. It will make a wonderful
          wood
          > >lathe but I would like to work metal as well.
          > >
          > >James Cunningham

        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
            <cunning@f...> wrote:

            > I have a Grizzly catalog. I went to Woodcrafters today and they
            say a 1 X
            > 12 pitch is an odd size. I got a dead center, tools and lathe dogs
            to turn
            > shafting from Enco Supply. I will start with turning pins for a
            haybine.
            > Wish me luck.

            James, 1x12 is an odd size, but not that odd. I'm certain you
            noticed that all but Grizzly's newest two lathes are 1x12.
            Next, Woodcrafters is a marginal company for turning supplies.
            Instead try the following:

            http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/
            http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=WC
            http://www.packardwoodworks.com/
            http://www.pennstateind.com/

            Personally, I like live centers a lot more then dead.

            TTFN
            Ralg
            AnTir
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
              Thank! The dead center is to be used with a lathe dog to turn shafting.

              James Cunningham