Wood turning lathe and turning tools

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
      I am interested in trying to build either a pole lathe or perhaps a treadle
      lathe. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to find info on them?
      Also I think it would be really interesting to learn how to make the wood
      turning tools including the metal parts. The best modern tools seem to be
      made out of combinations of metals that are more recent, but I don't know
      what the best pre 1600 combinations were. Any suggestions for where to
      learn about the tools or to find people that are making them for reenactment
      people?

      Sharon
      gordonse@...
    • ddordway@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
        Check out "Tool Making for Woodworkers" by Ray Larsen. It's kind of a
        beginners guide to smithing and making tools.

        Lagerstein
      • Arthur Slaughter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
          Two sources for pole lathes are, the fine books by Roy Underhill, and Old
          Ways of Working Wood by Bealer. Mine was thrown together rather quickly out
          of 4x4's salvaged from an old pallet. As for he tools. I am still looking
          for a good set of pictures to forge a set of period tools.
          Finnr

          >From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@...>
          >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Wood turning lathe and turning tools
          >Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:04:41 -0500
          >
          >I am interested in trying to build either a pole lathe or perhaps a treadle
          >lathe. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to find info on them?
          >Also I think it would be really interesting to learn how to make the wood
          >turning tools including the metal parts. The best modern tools seem to be
          >made out of combinations of metals that are more recent, but I don't know
          >what the best pre 1600 combinations were. Any suggestions for where to
          >learn about the tools or to find people that are making them for
          >reenactment
          >people?
          >
          >Sharon
          >gordonse@...

        • Iason Vorax
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2006
            There is also a good treatment in
            Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York, [The
            Archeology of York, The Small Finds 17/13 Craft, Industry and Everyday
            Life], Carole Morris, York Archeological Trust, 2000
            http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/27758//Location/DBBC

            More references at:
            http://lists.gallowglass.org/pipermail/artssciences/2003-July/000107.html

            Cheers,