Rope Bed

  • baronconal
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
      The rope bed worked out great!

      I'm planning on coping a colonial
      rope bed 'wrench' to help tighten
      the ropes a little more, but even
      as it was it was comfy. The center
      support worked EXACTLY as I hoped

      Pic's are up in my folder on
      sawdust group page....

      Conal

      P.S. where are evereyone else's pic's?
      Charles, I know you have a digital
      camera....
    • vinlandar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
        Conal, nope, I don't have a digital camera, but I will get some film,
        and shoot picks and scan them of my Viking stools.

        -Charlie

        --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "baronconal" <baronconal@y...> wrote:
        > The rope bed worked out great!
        >
        > I'm planning on coping a colonial
        > rope bed 'wrench' to help tighten
        > the ropes a little more, but even
        > as it was it was comfy. The center
        > support worked EXACTLY as I hoped
        >

        > Pic's are up in my folder on
        > sawdust group page....
        >

        > Conal
        >
        > P.S. where are evereyone else's pic's?
        > Charles, I know you have a digital
        > camera....
      • Chris Roberts
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
          I am part of the crew for the Elizabeth II a reproduction 16th century
          (1585) sailing ship. We have a voyage in the near future and I wish
          to elevate myself off the deck a bit. I was thinking that a rope bed
          would be a good way to go for transport on and off the ship. I am
          looking for something that would pass for period so that it can stay
          on the ship while at port with school tours.

          Thanks,

          Chris
        • David Stous
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006

            I would think a rope or canvas hammock would be better.
            Dafydd Carmichael ap Caer michel

            ========
            David Stous
            Chief Maille Smith
            Wolf's Den Armoury
            www.wolfsdenarmoury.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2006
              I am slowly working my way thru' "Before the Mast" (ISBN
              0-9544029-4-4), which has most of the wood, cloth & wicker items from
              the Mary Rose included in it. The various writers are pretty clear
              that there is NO evidence for the use of hammocks at all in the ship
              - no fittings in the ship to hang them and so sign of any hammock
              parts like hooks & rings.

              However, in the section dealing with wicker items there is an object
              which the 'experts' seem to be unable to identify - item 82A5098 -
              which is rectangular, flat bottomed and 5ft x 2ft 4in (1.52m x 0.71m)
              in size. The sides are 'irregular' in height, with one side much
              lower than the ends and opposite side. To me it looks like a very
              large 'dog basket'. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I am of
              the opinion that it is the remains of someone's bed - it was found on
              the orlop deck below the 'carpenter's cabin' with a type 2 and type 3
              chest (the better quality ones, the type 2 chest was dovetailed &
              type 3 chests have legs).

              regards
              Brusi of ORkney
              Rowany/Lochac
              Sydney/Australia

              At 10:51 AM 1/05/2006, you wrote:
              >I am part of the crew for the Elizabeth II a reproduction 16th century
              >(1585) sailing ship. We have a voyage in the near future and I wish
              >to elevate myself off the deck a bit. I was thinking that a rope bed
              >would be a good way to go for transport on and off the ship. I am
              >looking for something that would pass for period so that it can stay
              >on the ship while at port with school tours.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Chris
            • chris roberts
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                Thanks but we have found no evidence of hammocksfor
                our time period. We do have a few guys that string
                hammocks between the shrouds but it is for comfort
                only.
                thanks chris

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                  Thanks, I will check that out.

                  Chris

                  --- "Bruce S. R. Lee" <bsrlee2@...> wrote:

                  > I am slowly working my way thru' "Before the Mast"
                  > (ISBN
                  > 0-9544029-4-4), which has most of the wood, cloth &
                  > wicker items from
                  > the Mary Rose included in it. The various writers
                  > are pretty clear
                  > that there is NO evidence for the use of hammocks at
                  > all in the ship
                  > - no fittings in the ship to hang them and so sign
                  > of any hammock
                  > parts like hooks & rings.
                  >
                  > However, in the section dealing with wicker items
                  > there is an object
                  > which the 'experts' seem to be unable to identify -
                  > item 82A5098 -
                  > which is rectangular, flat bottomed and 5ft x 2ft
                  > 4in (1.52m x 0.71m)
                  > in size. The sides are 'irregular' in height, with
                  > one side much
                  > lower than the ends and opposite side. To me it
                  > looks like a very
                  > large 'dog basket'. I'll go out on a limb here and
                  > say that I am of
                  > the opinion that it is the remains of someone's bed
                  > - it was found on
                  > the orlop deck below the 'carpenter's cabin' with a
                  > type 2 and type 3
                  > chest (the better quality ones, the type 2 chest was
                  > dovetailed &
                  > type 3 chests have legs).
                  >
                  > regards
                  > Brusi of ORkney
                  > Rowany/Lochac
                  > Sydney/Australia
                  >
                  > At 10:51 AM 1/05/2006, you wrote:
                  > >I am part of the crew for the Elizabeth II a
                  > reproduction 16th century
                  > >(1585) sailing ship. We have a voyage in the near
                  > future and I wish
                  > >to elevate myself off the deck a bit. I was
                  > thinking that a rope bed
                  > >would be a good way to go for transport on and off
                  > the ship. I am
                  > >looking for something that would pass for period so
                  > that it can stay
                  > >on the ship while at port with school tours.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks,
                  > >
                  > >Chris

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                    Chris...

                    Shipboard life is something that gets my interest rising... but isn't something I"ve really studied much.  You've mentiond that there isn't extant evidence of hammocks...  but what would be 'reasonable crew sizes' and what, if any evidence other than the on reed pad, does the archeological/historic record show the brought on board other than, perhaps, a sea chest or sea bag?  (I'm ex-Navy and I've always been a bit fascinated by Naval History in various forms...)

                    What kind of quarters were crew normally afforded and how much 'personal gear' did they bring on board?  Did accomodation vary depending on the function of the ship?

                    Do you have some suggested sources that would be a good place (beyond the Mary Rose books) to start mining for info on this topic...

                    Thanks -  Chas.
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2006
                      everytime I have heard any details about the number of
                      crew it took for a 'ship of the line' and the numbers
                      of crew and passengers that were crammed onto the
                      ships that laned at Jamestown it has AMAZED me how
                      many people were on the ships.

                      Is that a later develpoment from the Elizabethian
                      sailing ships? Did ships at that time have smaller
                      crews? 'Cause if they had to have framed beds for all
                      those people there would not have been room to put the
                      people on once the beds were loaded....

                      http://mail.yahoo.com