Has anyone successfuly shaped rattan

  • Thumpa@charter.net
    Message 1 of 39 , Jan 5, 2006
      Has anyone successfuly shaped rattan either with steam or a chemical product? Rattan is a grass not a wood so I was wondering if I could make a mace by using a chemical process such as activated amonia.

      The thought of knotting a ten foot pole down to a six foot unpadded pole-arm appeals to me if not my local felow stickjocks.
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 20, 2006

        Don’t be intimidated.  We’re ALL winging it.  Very, very few of us have served a mundane apprenticeship or been to school.  We’re almost all completely self-taught, and can display the scars to prove it.  If you feel out-classed, it’s just because you need to make more sawdust.  Or shavings.  Or whatever it is the turners call that endless peel of wood that comes off the turning balks.