constructing a shepards crook

  • Thumpa@charter.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
      How would yall go about constructing a shepards crook? Does steam bending a 1 inch stave sound right or would you glue multiple thin laminates together and allow the shape of the form and the glue to make the shape?

      It has been so long since I made these I have forgotten how I did it last time.

      Nicodemus
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006

        Note:  This is a GUESS.

        I’m guessing that the traditional method would actually be to do a green bend, maybe steam assisted or soaked.

        If I’m not worried about traditional methods, I’d steam bend it.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
          I used to make these for Shakertown.
          1. Rive and shape your staves green.
          2. Thin down the crook part on the inside of the bend but leave excess so that if some fracture occurs during bending you'll still have enough.
          3. Orient your grain rings across the bend. The center of the tree is the inside of the crook.
          4. Steam it. I don't remember but I think 45 minutes in the steam was about right.
          5. Bend it around your form.
          6. Leave it at least an hour or two.
          7. Remove it from the form but tie it to hold the bend. (Allow for spring back.) If it starts to split off a little keep going. That's why you left extra. If you don't care about periodness you could eliminate most of the splitting buy using a strap on the outside of the bend.
          8. Store it in a dry place for 3 - 6 months or kiln it.
          9. Unless you fire the bend it will be very suseptable to opening up with humidity changes over time.

          Craig Robert
          Lord Craig Robert le Luthier de Pierrepont OVO CAR
          Apprentice to Dame Alysea of Ashley

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006

            Craig,

            What do you mean by “fire the bend?”

            Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:12:32 -0800
               From: <Thumpa@...>

            How would yall go about constructing a shepards crook?  Does steam
            bending a 1 inch stave sound right or would you glue multiple thin
            laminates together and allow the shape of the form and the glue to make the
            shape?

            It has been so long since I made these I have forgotten how I did it
            last time.

            Nicodemus

            size=1 width="100%" align=center>

            Yahoo! Photos