RE: [MedievalSawdust] Glueing Green oak?

  • Chuck Phillips
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006

      Julian;

      Polyurethane glues have been available here for some time.  I think the first on the mass market was “Gorilla Glue”.  I’m not the least bit surprised that it worked well on your green timbers, as the reaction is catalyzed by water…

      The biggest downside for me is that it’s a lot messier than PVA glues.  I always wear gloves when applying it, and the foamy excess can be a pain.

      Charles Joiner

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
        Yep that is what I would call green wood!! Now I know what page we are on!
        Do you turn for "Winsor" Chairs? I have heard that you turn in the green
        then dry in the oven then put the extra dry turnings into geen wood hole.
        The follow up question is how old the technique is?

      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
          Answer, very old.

          Citation from supporting texts or archaelogical evidence... Very little.

          The four legged stools found in Chinnery's Oak Furniture, were probably all joined with wet wood. See www.greenwoodworking.com for a treatise on this. Oak Furniture has dated examples from late period certainly.

          --
          -Chris Schwartz
          Silver Spring, MD

          From: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>
          > Yep that is what I would call green wood!! Now I know what page we are on!
          > Do you turn for "Winsor" Chairs? I have heard that you turn in the green
          > then dry in the oven then put the extra dry turnings into geen wood hole.
          > The follow up question is how old the technique is?

        • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
            Nope, been doing strictly viking age wood turning, spindles, bowls and
            cups, without a tool rest using repro viking age turning tools. If you get
            to Pennsic you might have seen us with the lathe setup. Down the hill from
            the Runestone behind Cariadoc's camp, in a camp called Budgardr (Tent
            village in old norse).

            From what I recall, mid to late 1600's to early 1700's is as far back as I
            could put windsor chairs. Perhaps someone has more info than I, as I have
            really only looked at it from a perspective of wanting to get them for my
            dining room at home and not in a re-enactor context.

            Haraldr

            --
            Dave Calafrancesco

            ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!
          • C N Schwartz
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
              There is some indication that the Welsh style chairs were a precursor to the
              Windsor form. Elm construction throughout, often shaved parts rather than
              turned, and they look 'cruder' though I like the look. But no definite
              dates other than "before" Windsors.

              Other forms to stick chairs and stools go way back, if illustrations from
              old bibles are any indicator, but these are not Windsors. Picture a
              ladderback chair but without the back. Round mortise and tenons, but no
              splay or solid seat.

              And the four legged stool I referred to in a previous post and referred to
              at www.greenwoodworking.com have rectilinear joints, and I have fewer
              references to them other than that English Oak furniture book.

              Perhaps the best I can offer is an illustration of Hywel Dda, Welsh King,
              from the 1100's, in Leges Howelda Wallici. It is a crude drawing of a man
              in a backed chair. It has 3 legs and resembles some Welsh chair forms. So
              how is that? Great Granddaddy of the Windsor(maybe...) in the 12th Century.

              http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/Peniarth28/lhw0108.html
              http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/Peniarth28/lhw0106.html

              Not too much help.

              Nope, been doing strictly viking age wood turning, spindles, bowls and
              cups, without a tool rest using repro viking age turning tools. If you get
              to Pennsic you might have seen us with the lathe setup. Down the hill from
              the Runestone behind Cariadoc's camp, in a camp called Budgardr (Tent
              village in old norse).

              From what I recall, mid to late 1600's to early 1700's is as far back as I