gluing green wood

  • tudweber_jr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
      I have not tried gorilla glue, it would seem like a logical choice
      since poly glues cure with moisture, but I have studied thier
      brochure, and thier website and they dont claim anywhere to be able to
      glue wet or green wood. The difficulty in bonding such wood is not
      just the surface moisture, wich is enough to break down or dilute wood
      glue. There is also the fact that the pore space or area inbetween
      the cells is occopied by water, so the adhesive has no place to
      penetrate. I have talked with people who turn segmented bowls, where
      thier own personal safty relies on the glue joint holding, and they
      have claim glue failures with gorilla glue, and even CA glues, the
      only reliable thing for them is titebond and 24 hours. Im sure there
      are some things that poly glues can bond better than anything else,
      but I dont think wood is one of them.
      The wood I am working with is litterally green, not like S-dry
      stud lumber at 19%, more like green treated, heavy wet, after you run
      it through the planer it sweats. No I dont have a moisture meter, but
      Im sure its beyond cell saturation point.
      I built a steamer wich worked well on other projects, thats one
      possible solution, and there are premium grade construction adhesives
      that claim to be able to bond wet and even frozen treated lumber, so
      that could (should) work, if I clamped all the pieces till they dried,
      that should work, (I have till July)but Im probably not that patient.
      I has hoping to do this the easiest way possible, but I havent found
      anyone yet that has done it before. I deffinatly learned something
      new on this one.
      Thanks everyone on your intrest/input
      Jared
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006

        Jared,

        I think what you’ve bitten off may not have an “easy way.”

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
          I believe that this started as a way to save money by using offcuts,
          but you should also consider your time, effort, other material costs
          (adhesives) and your yield (attempts - failures). It may be more
          effective to do this particular project traditionally, with more
          layers of thinner, dry wood. I find myself headed down this kind of
          path more often than I'd like to admit.

          Good luck,
          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006

            I drive other woodworkers in my area bananas ‘cause I throw away offcuts unless I have a SPECIFIC USE in mind for them.  Otherwise, I get BURIED.