RE: [MedievalSawdust] Glueing Green oak?

  • Chuck Phillips
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006

      Julian;

      Polyurethane glues have been available here for some time.  I think the first on the mass market was “Gorilla Glue”.  I’m not the least bit surprised that it worked well on your green timbers, as the reaction is catalyzed by water…

      The biggest downside for me is that it’s a lot messier than PVA glues.  I always wear gloves when applying it, and the foamy excess can be a pain.

      Charles Joiner

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
        > Do you have this glue-type available to you on
        > the US Market? It's far more economic, and
        > faster-setting - than ordinary PVA-based adhesives
        > for use on timber.
        >
        > Julian Wilson,
        > Master Carpenter,
        > in the Island of "olde" Jersey..

        Gorilla Glue - http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm

        Titebond Polyurethane Glue -
        http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductCategoryTB.asp?prodcat=1

        These glues react with moisture to cure. They
        recommend
        wiping the surface with a damp rag sometimes. If you
        have
        not used a poly glue before, try it on some scraps (
        It
        foams up as it cures, you want to get an idea how much
        glue
        you need and how much foam you will get. )

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • Haraldr Bassi (yahoogroups)
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2006
          On Wed, January 4, 2006 16:20, James W. Pratt, Jr. said:
          > At what water percentage do you classify wood as Green? In the US seasoned
          > wood can go to 6-9%. If dried wood gets rained on all bets are off.

          I am not sure of the percentage of water, but I consider wood to be
          'green' when it was cut down that morning and I am splitting it in the
          afternoon. We get our best turning done on that first day. We now
          immediately put all the split pieces into barrels of water and keep them
          there, for up to a year, so that we can have 'green' wood all year long
          and make the most use of the tree. At this level of 'green', it is so wet
          that it splashes you in the face as the lathe tools are shaving it down.

          I have seen people in the construction trades refer to wood being green
          when barely any moisture is evident in comparison to where we work it. It
          seems to apply to anything that wasn't kiln dried, but simply stickered
          for a season or two.

          Haraldr

          --
          Dave Calafrancesco

          ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006

            Ok, yup.  That’s “green.”

            For me, “green” is over 10% on the moisture meter.

            --
            Dave Calafrancesco

            ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
              Yep that is what I would call green wood!! Now I know what page we are on!
              Do you turn for "Winsor" Chairs? I have heard that you turn in the green
              then dry in the oven then put the extra dry turnings into geen wood hole.
              The follow up question is how old the technique is?

            • kjworz@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
                Answer, very old.

                Citation from supporting texts or archaelogical evidence... Very little.

                The four legged stools found in Chinnery's Oak Furniture, were probably all joined with wet wood. See www.greenwoodworking.com for a treatise on this. Oak Furniture has dated examples from late period certainly.

                --
                -Chris Schwartz
                Silver Spring, MD

                From: "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Nope, been doing strictly viking age wood turning, spindles, bowls and
                  cups, without a tool rest using repro viking age turning tools. If you get
                  to Pennsic you might have seen us with the lathe setup. Down the hill from
                  the Runestone behind Cariadoc's camp, in a camp called Budgardr (Tent
                  village in old norse).

                  From what I recall, mid to late 1600's to early 1700's is as far back as I
                  could put windsor chairs. Perhaps someone has more info than I, as I have
                  really only looked at it from a perspective of wanting to get them for my
                  dining room at home and not in a re-enactor context.

                  Haraldr

                  --
                  Dave Calafrancesco

                  ... They got the library at Alexandria, they aren't getting mine!
                • C N Schwartz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2006
                    There is some indication that the Welsh style chairs were a precursor to the
                    Windsor form. Elm construction throughout, often shaved parts rather than
                    turned, and they look 'cruder' though I like the look. But no definite
                    dates other than "before" Windsors.

                    Other forms to stick chairs and stools go way back, if illustrations from
                    old bibles are any indicator, but these are not Windsors. Picture a
                    ladderback chair but without the back. Round mortise and tenons, but no
                    splay or solid seat.

                    And the four legged stool I referred to in a previous post and referred to
                    at www.greenwoodworking.com have rectilinear joints, and I have fewer
                    references to them other than that English Oak furniture book.

                    Perhaps the best I can offer is an illustration of Hywel Dda, Welsh King,
                    from the 1100's, in Leges Howelda Wallici. It is a crude drawing of a man
                    in a backed chair. It has 3 legs and resembles some Welsh chair forms. So
                    how is that? Great Granddaddy of the Windsor(maybe...) in the 12th Century.

                    http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/Peniarth28/lhw0108.html
                    http://www.llgc.org.uk/drych/Peniarth28/lhw0106.html

                    Not too much help.

                    Nope, been doing strictly viking age wood turning, spindles, bowls and
                    cups, without a tool rest using repro viking age turning tools. If you get
                    to Pennsic you might have seen us with the lathe setup. Down the hill from
                    the Runestone behind Cariadoc's camp, in a camp called Budgardr (Tent
                    village in old norse).

                    From what I recall, mid to late 1600's to early 1700's is as far back as I