Re: lamination bending arches

  • ampcbj
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
      I'm not a big fan of gorilla glue. I've had it fail in the most
      inoportune times for no apparent reason. If it's that important, I
      use a slow setting two part epoxy. In five years, it's never failed &
      you don;t have to worry about the expanding foam.

      Egil
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
        I'm not a big fan of gorilla glue.  I've had it fail in the most
        inoportune times for no apparent reason.  If it's that important, I
        use a slow setting two part epoxy.  In five years, it's never failed &
        you don;t have to worry about the expanding foam.

        Won't stick to green wood, will it?

        I'm not a big fan of PU glues either, except when they are the best thing for the situation.  Nothing else sticks to wet or damp materials like PU.   It does seem to be susceptible to breaking under shock load.

        The very best glue for green or damp wood might be the PL Premium Construction Adhesive.  It's a non-expanding polyurethane adhesive with high solids content, significant gap-filling property, and extremely high strength.  It is only available, AFAIK, in tubes for caulking guns.   Way better than Liquid Nails!

        Cheers,
        Colin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          have you tried Gorrila glue?

          --- jared riesenweber <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone ever successfully glued green oak? I am
          > making 8 foot half arches (gothic) on a form in glue
          > lamination. The green oak I am using is free and
          > bends easily without steaming, unfortunatly green
          > would can not be bonded with wood glue, at all.
          > When liquid nails also failed to do a decent job, I
          > was surprised, I may try numerous fasteners next,
          > drywall screws and a lot of pin nails, I would
          > rather not use dry wood, it bends a lot harder with
          > more springback. Cant help but think there is an
          > adhesive that would work.

          > Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just
          > $16.99/mo. or less

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com