Re: [MedievalSawdust] lamination bending arches

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
      Polyurethane glue (such as Gorilla Glue) is the only thing I can think of that might work on green wood.  It cures by reaction with moisture, which will certainly be abundant.

      Nothing else that I can think of would have a chance.

      The way you bend dry wood is to steam it first.  Many publications, and probably several Web sites, describe this technique.  You steam the wood, then form it (quickly, while it's hot), let it cool and dry.   This can be done even with big stuff; timber-framers have done it successfully.  No gluing required.

      The other option is to bend your green wood and let it dry while attached to the form.  Slow, but sure.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      At 02:53 PM 1/3/2006 -0800, you wrote:
      Has anyone ever successfully glued green oak? I am making 8 foot half arches (gothic) on a form in glue lamination.  The green oak I am using is free and bends easily without steaming, unfortunatly green would can not be bonded with wood glue, at all.  When liquid nails also failed to do a decent job, I was surprised, I may try numerous fasteners next, drywall screws and a lot of pin nails, I would rather not use dry wood, it bends a lot harder with more springback.  Cant help but think there is an adhesive that would work.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
        One thing nice about slabs that come off the sawmill is that you have a lot
        to choose from. Yes I try to put as many knots and defects into the throw
        away part of the log.

        Also with green wood you may be able to bend the full thickness wood you
        need and eliminate the glue all together.

        James Cunningham

        The added
        > problem is that the wood is cull boards that I get in bundles of slabs
        > for firewood,(thats why its free) so it is of such poor quality, that
        > while it will make the bend green, it would probably break if you
        > attempted to bend it dry, due to knots and excessive grain runout.
        > Looks like I may have to be really patient with this one,
        > Thanks
        > Jared
        > -
        > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
        > <cunning@f...> wrote:
        > >
        > > How thick is the oak? What you might try is put the boards in the
        > form and let them dry there. After they have dried you should be able
        > to glue them.
        > >
        > > James Cunningham

      • ampcbj
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          I'm not a big fan of gorilla glue. I've had it fail in the most
          inoportune times for no apparent reason. If it's that important, I
          use a slow setting two part epoxy. In five years, it's never failed &
          you don;t have to worry about the expanding foam.

          Egil
        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
            I'm not a big fan of gorilla glue.  I've had it fail in the most
            inoportune times for no apparent reason.  If it's that important, I
            use a slow setting two part epoxy.  In five years, it's never failed &
            you don;t have to worry about the expanding foam.

            Won't stick to green wood, will it?

            I'm not a big fan of PU glues either, except when they are the best thing for the situation.  Nothing else sticks to wet or damp materials like PU.   It does seem to be susceptible to breaking under shock load.

            The very best glue for green or damp wood might be the PL Premium Construction Adhesive.  It's a non-expanding polyurethane adhesive with high solids content, significant gap-filling property, and extremely high strength.  It is only available, AFAIK, in tubes for caulking guns.   Way better than Liquid Nails!

            Cheers,
            Colin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
              have you tried Gorrila glue?

              --- jared riesenweber <tudweber_jr@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone ever successfully glued green oak? I am
              > making 8 foot half arches (gothic) on a form in glue
              > lamination. The green oak I am using is free and
              > bends easily without steaming, unfortunatly green
              > would can not be bonded with wood glue, at all.
              > When liquid nails also failed to do a decent job, I
              > was surprised, I may try numerous fasteners next,
              > drywall screws and a lot of pin nails, I would
              > rather not use dry wood, it bends a lot harder with
              > more springback. Cant help but think there is an
              > adhesive that would work.

              > Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just
              > $16.99/mo. or less

              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com