Re: who wants to help build a longhouse?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005
      Halv,

      An ambitious project, to say the least. You should clarify where
      you're planning building this, physical participation is
      geographically constrained for most of us. You have also used the
      term "investor", if this is an investment, what's the return? Is this
      a "for profit" venture? If "not for profit", you should probably
      switch to contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved access
      and/or recognition at the site and in any project literature. I know
      of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
      think that the process is fairly straight forward.

      Looking forward to your responses,

      Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
      Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid (SoCal)

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
      <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)
      >
      > I am currently trying to make the following happen
      >
      > As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my mind
      and
      > I have become fixated with making it happen....
      >
      > So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using (initially)
      > the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project....
      >

      > Halv

    • Schuster, Robert L.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005

        An ambitious project, to say the least.

        --If you knew me, you'd already know that I love tackling things of this magnitude:)

         You should clarify where
        you're planning building this,

        --Central Missouri

           You have also used the
        term "investor", if this is an investment, what's the return?

        --That is one of the things we are working out

         Is this
        a "for profit" venture?  If "not for profit", you should probably
        switch to contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved access
        and/or recognition at the site and in any project literature.  I know
        of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
        think that the process is fairly straight forward.

         --We (Norsa) are a not for profit organization (well, we soon will be, the paper work is complete)
        We plan to use the location to educate anyone that is interested.
        The site will be used for both LH and SCA events.
        Several of the folks we are gonna approach are also NFP orgs that focus on various "Viking" heritages and or the study of "Viking" cultures.
        If they choose to help fund the project, they too will have use of the project and or any other of our resources/research material.

        Halv

      • Schuster, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005
          Oh yeah
          here are some pics of what the final result might look like

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 17, 2005
            <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:

            > Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)
            >
            > I am currently trying to make the following happen
            >
            > As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my
            mind and
            > I have become fixated with making it happen.
            >
            > In my 'away' time I have been busy researching period building
            remains,
            > exploring funding methods and drawing up plans for the future.
            (Atli my
            > questions for you are near the end of this)
            >
            > So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using
            (initially)
            > the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project.
            >
            > The current (i.e. as of last night ) plan is to start with a house
            > approx 5 X 11 m (about 15W X 33L feet).
            >
            > The second stage would involve building another structure a little
            > smaller and a covered (i.e. roof only) work area for a forge and
            > woodworking.
            >
            > The third stage would be to build a pit house (or two) and a small
            > structure to hide modern PRIMITIVE facilities such as showers and
            > toilets.
            >
            > The final "dream" stage would be a reconstruction of the largest
            Hedeby
            > houses, often referred to as the longhall, which comes in at
            around 7W X
            > 17.5L (21W X 52.5L feet)
            >
            > We would of course also throw in boarded walkways and wattle type
            fences
            > where applicable.
            >
            > Now really A LOT of this is only a dream right now, but ALLOT of
            things
            > of this nature start that way.
            >
            > We have been given several acres of private property to use and I
            have a
            > few private investors to start the project as well, I even hope to
            have
            > a few more in a few weeks. (Current hopes are to start out with
            between
            > $3-5000)
            >
            > We have looked into grants and that route seems INCREDIBLY slow and
            > painful so I think we have decided to go solely with private
            investors.

            > I have a growing list of groups (both on local and national
            levels) to
            > approach but I need to work out a "why it's a good idea for you or
            your
            > group to invest in this' schpeal.

            Have you approached the Timber Framers Guild about this?
            You'd need to have your finances already sorted (they don't exactly
            work for free) but they do all sorts of community and private
            buildings in the U.S. and worldwide. They may be interested in a
            historical project!

            There is a similar project (or three) going on here in England, as
            usual though, we have lots of beaurocracy to deal with before we can
            build or do anything!

            Best of luck,

            Jon Terris.
          • windsingersmoon
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@y...> wrote:

              > Halv,
              How Does a household get 'non-profit status ' ????

              i.e. I'm having a Viking village built.
              (so far, there are at least half a doz. stuctures, which include a
              blacksmith shop, a woodcarver's shop, a cobbler shop and a 2-story
              Stuloft. At present, I am clearing for a two-story structure that
              we've dubbed the 'Guildhall',....eventually, we'll get around to
              building the short version of a longhouse (we call it a 'shorthouse'
              that we cleared for years ago) to be dug (by hand) into a hillside.

              All of this will be private. There are absolutely No plans to ever
              have it open to the public. Only local shire members to come to work
              on projects (but none of them have been asked for funds or labor)

              So, how does one get that non-profit status on a project ?
              Shara/Asa

              > An ambitious project, to say the least. You should clarify where
              > you're planning building this, physical participation is
              > geographically constrained for most of us. You have also used the
              > term "investor", if this is an investment, what's the return? Is
              this
              > a "for profit" venture? If "not for profit", you should probably
              > switch to contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved
              access
              > and/or recognition at the site and in any project literature. I
              know
              > of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
              > think that the process is fairly straight forward.
              >
              > Looking forward to your responses,
              >
              > Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
              > Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid (SoCal)
              >
              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
              > <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)
              > >
              > > I am currently trying to make the following happen
              > >
              > > As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my
              mind
              > and
              > > I have become fixated with making it happen....
              > >
              > > So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using
              (initially)
              > > the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project....
              > >

              > > Halv

            • Schuster, Robert L.
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
                Do a search on not for profit and your state
                You should come up with a 'how to' pretty easily/
                Now getting it all done isn't so simple:)  (its not terribly hard either)

                Things may vary state to state so be sure you have info for your state.

                Halv

                How Does a household get 'non-profit status ' ????

                i.e. I'm having a Viking village built.
                (so far, there are at least half a doz. stuctures, which include a
                blacksmith shop, a woodcarver's shop, a cobbler shop and a 2-story
                Stuloft.   At present, I am clearing for a two-story structure that
                we've dubbed the 'Guildhall',....eventually, we'll get around to
                building the short version of a longhouse (we call it a 'shorthouse'
                that we cleared for years ago) to be dug (by hand) into a hillside.

                All of this will be private.  There are absolutely No plans to ever
                have it open to the public.  Only local shire members to come to work
                on projects (but none of them have been asked for funds or labor)

                So, how does one get that non-profit status on a project ?
                Shara/Asa

                > An ambitious project, to say
                the least.  You should clarify where
                > you're planning building
                this, physical participation is
                > geographically constrained for most of
                us.  You have also used the
                > term "investor", if this is an
                investment, what's the return?  Is
                this
                > a "for profit"
                venture?  If "not for profit", you should probably
                > switch to
                contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved
                access
                > and/or
                recognition at the site and in any project literature.  I
                know

                of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
                > think
                that the process is fairly straight forward.

                > Looking forward to
                your responses,