who wants to help build a longhouse?

  • Schuster, Robert L.
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005

      Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)

      I am currently trying to make the following happen

      As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my mind and I have become fixated with making it happen.

      In my ‘away’ time I have been busy researching period building remains, exploring funding methods and drawing up plans for the future. (Atli my questions for you are near the end of this)

      So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using (initially) the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project.

      The current (i.e. as of last night Very Happy) plan is to start with a house approx 5 X 11 m (about 15W X 33L feet).

      The second stage would involve building another structure a little smaller and a covered (i.e. roof only) work area for a forge and woodworking.

      The third stage would be to build a pit house (or two) and a small structure to hide modern PRIMITIVE facilities such as showers and toilets.

      The final "dream" stage would be a reconstruction of the largest Hedeby houses, often referred to as the longhall, which comes in at around 7W X 17.5L (21W X 52.5L feet)

      We would of course also throw in boarded walkways and wattle type fences where applicable.

      Now really A LOT of this is only a dream right now, but ALLOT of things of this nature start that way.

      We have been given several acres of private property to use and I have a few private investors to start the project as well, I even hope to have a few more in a few weeks. (Current hopes are to start out with between $3-5000)

      We have looked into grants and that route seems INCREDIBLY slow and painful so I think we have decided to go solely with private investors.

      I have a growing list of groups (both on local and national levels) to approach but I need to work out a “why it’s a good idea for you or your group to invest in this’ schpeal.

      The thing is I am not sure just exactly what it is we (Norsa) have to offer in return. There is the standard “You and your group would have access to the project for use for X” aspect, and the “we hope to continue to educate the youth so we invite all schools to come out for ‘demos’” angle, and the ‘we plan to educate the masses on how ‘real vikings’ lived aspect as well but I am not sure all of those are real selling points to the average person or even Norse culture related groups.

      So (after a long and rambling post) my question is

      Hypothetically, if you were an investor what would you expect? Would this expectation differ if you chipped in up to $500, and how would that differ if you chipped in $1000+

      I am sort of envisioning a 4 tier system

      Thrall - $1 to $100 donation
      Freeman – $101 to $499 donation
      Village elder – $500 to $999 donation
      Village Jarl - $1000 +

      With advantages varying from guaranteed ‘crash’ space in the structures when events are held there (Freeman) to input on the entire project (Jarls). I just don’t know what to offer at the very basic (Thrall) or the intermediate (Elder) stages

      All input is welcome and appreciated!

      I have been in contact with several of the museums in Sweden about their projects and have been gathering butt loads of info from various other sources as well.

      I want to keep this as close to 'authentic' as possible but realize that some compromises (due to modern laws) will probably have to be made.
      Also, if anyone is interested in the project (either donations or labor) let me know

      Once we get going I plan on hosting several 'work party weekends' which will feature food and entertainment. I will post a schedule for them once we have reached this point.

      Halv
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005
        Halv,

        An ambitious project, to say the least. You should clarify where
        you're planning building this, physical participation is
        geographically constrained for most of us. You have also used the
        term "investor", if this is an investment, what's the return? Is this
        a "for profit" venture? If "not for profit", you should probably
        switch to contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved access
        and/or recognition at the site and in any project literature. I know
        of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
        think that the process is fairly straight forward.

        Looking forward to your responses,

        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
        Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid (SoCal)

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
        <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)
        >
        > I am currently trying to make the following happen
        >
        > As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my mind
        and
        > I have become fixated with making it happen....
        >
        > So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using (initially)
        > the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project....
        >

        > Halv

      • Schuster, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005

          An ambitious project, to say the least.

          --If you knew me, you'd already know that I love tackling things of this magnitude:)

           You should clarify where
          you're planning building this,

          --Central Missouri

             You have also used the
          term "investor", if this is an investment, what's the return?

          --That is one of the things we are working out

           Is this
          a "for profit" venture?  If "not for profit", you should probably
          switch to contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved access
          and/or recognition at the site and in any project literature.  I know
          of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
          think that the process is fairly straight forward.

           --We (Norsa) are a not for profit organization (well, we soon will be, the paper work is complete)
          We plan to use the location to educate anyone that is interested.
          The site will be used for both LH and SCA events.
          Several of the folks we are gonna approach are also NFP orgs that focus on various "Viking" heritages and or the study of "Viking" cultures.
          If they choose to help fund the project, they too will have use of the project and or any other of our resources/research material.

          Halv

        • Schuster, Robert L.
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2005
            Oh yeah
            here are some pics of what the final result might look like

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 17, 2005
              <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:

              > Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)
              >
              > I am currently trying to make the following happen
              >
              > As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my
              mind and
              > I have become fixated with making it happen.
              >
              > In my 'away' time I have been busy researching period building
              remains,
              > exploring funding methods and drawing up plans for the future.
              (Atli my
              > questions for you are near the end of this)
              >
              > So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using
              (initially)
              > the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project.
              >
              > The current (i.e. as of last night ) plan is to start with a house
              > approx 5 X 11 m (about 15W X 33L feet).
              >
              > The second stage would involve building another structure a little
              > smaller and a covered (i.e. roof only) work area for a forge and
              > woodworking.
              >
              > The third stage would be to build a pit house (or two) and a small
              > structure to hide modern PRIMITIVE facilities such as showers and
              > toilets.
              >
              > The final "dream" stage would be a reconstruction of the largest
              Hedeby
              > houses, often referred to as the longhall, which comes in at
              around 7W X
              > 17.5L (21W X 52.5L feet)
              >
              > We would of course also throw in boarded walkways and wattle type
              fences
              > where applicable.
              >
              > Now really A LOT of this is only a dream right now, but ALLOT of
              things
              > of this nature start that way.
              >
              > We have been given several acres of private property to use and I
              have a
              > few private investors to start the project as well, I even hope to
              have
              > a few more in a few weeks. (Current hopes are to start out with
              between
              > $3-5000)
              >
              > We have looked into grants and that route seems INCREDIBLY slow and
              > painful so I think we have decided to go solely with private
              investors.

              > I have a growing list of groups (both on local and national
              levels) to
              > approach but I need to work out a "why it's a good idea for you or
              your
              > group to invest in this' schpeal.

              Have you approached the Timber Framers Guild about this?
              You'd need to have your finances already sorted (they don't exactly
              work for free) but they do all sorts of community and private
              buildings in the U.S. and worldwide. They may be interested in a
              historical project!

              There is a similar project (or three) going on here in England, as
              usual though, we have lots of beaurocracy to deal with before we can
              build or do anything!

              Best of luck,

              Jon Terris.
            • windsingersmoon
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@y...> wrote:

                > Halv,
                How Does a household get 'non-profit status ' ????

                i.e. I'm having a Viking village built.
                (so far, there are at least half a doz. stuctures, which include a
                blacksmith shop, a woodcarver's shop, a cobbler shop and a 2-story
                Stuloft. At present, I am clearing for a two-story structure that
                we've dubbed the 'Guildhall',....eventually, we'll get around to
                building the short version of a longhouse (we call it a 'shorthouse'
                that we cleared for years ago) to be dug (by hand) into a hillside.

                All of this will be private. There are absolutely No plans to ever
                have it open to the public. Only local shire members to come to work
                on projects (but none of them have been asked for funds or labor)

                So, how does one get that non-profit status on a project ?
                Shara/Asa

                > An ambitious project, to say the least. You should clarify where
                > you're planning building this, physical participation is
                > geographically constrained for most of us. You have also used the
                > term "investor", if this is an investment, what's the return? Is
                this
                > a "for profit" venture? If "not for profit", you should probably
                > switch to contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved
                access
                > and/or recognition at the site and in any project literature. I
                know
                > of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
                > think that the process is fairly straight forward.
                >
                > Looking forward to your responses,
                >
                > Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                > Ulfsvikings, Barony of Angels, Caid (SoCal)
                >
                > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                > <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller (well not really:)
                > >
                > > I am currently trying to make the following happen
                > >
                > > As with TFBO in its early stages, a new project has entered my
                mind
                > and
                > > I have become fixated with making it happen....
                > >
                > > So the new idea is to layout a Viking Age farmstead using
                (initially)
                > > the Hedeby style townhouses as the base for the project....
                > >

                > > Halv

              • Schuster, Robert L.
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2005
                  Do a search on not for profit and your state
                  You should come up with a 'how to' pretty easily/
                  Now getting it all done isn't so simple:)  (its not terribly hard either)

                  Things may vary state to state so be sure you have info for your state.

                  Halv

                  How Does a household get 'non-profit status ' ????

                  i.e. I'm having a Viking village built.
                  (so far, there are at least half a doz. stuctures, which include a
                  blacksmith shop, a woodcarver's shop, a cobbler shop and a 2-story
                  Stuloft.   At present, I am clearing for a two-story structure that
                  we've dubbed the 'Guildhall',....eventually, we'll get around to
                  building the short version of a longhouse (we call it a 'shorthouse'
                  that we cleared for years ago) to be dug (by hand) into a hillside.

                  All of this will be private.  There are absolutely No plans to ever
                  have it open to the public.  Only local shire members to come to work
                  on projects (but none of them have been asked for funds or labor)

                  So, how does one get that non-profit status on a project ?
                  Shara/Asa

                  > An ambitious project, to say
                  the least.  You should clarify where
                  > you're planning building
                  this, physical participation is
                  > geographically constrained for most of
                  us.  You have also used the
                  > term "investor", if this is an
                  investment, what's the return?  Is
                  this
                  > a "for profit"
                  venture?  If "not for profit", you should probably
                  > switch to
                  contributor or sponsor, where the return is improved
                  access
                  > and/or
                  recognition at the site and in any project literature.  I
                  know

                  of a couple of SCA households that have non-profit tax status', I
                  > think
                  that the process is fairly straight forward.

                  > Looking forward to
                  your responses,