Frame shims or packers

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
      James Renfro <jmrenfro@...> wrote:
      Hello all. I too am one of the lurkers of this list. I am also a Cabinet/woodworker by trade for the last five years, and a veteran of the dreaded installations and I have never heard of plastic shims. I would be interested to hear if there are any problems or troubles with them.

      No problems I've ever experienced, or even heard of.
       I carry a mixed handful of the most common shim thicknesses in my van, and find them particularly useful for the installation of window cills, expecially deep ones [a typical local "barn conversion" can call for window cills  28 " front to back because of the original granite walls, the 4"cavity, the 4" concrete blocks of the new inner wall, and the 2.5" thick Thermaboard], door linings - especially those deeper than 5.25 ", and fitted-bedroom- and fitted-kitchen installations.
      Using the graduated, hard-plastic shims makes it both quick and easy to obtain a perfectly plumb and level and plane door- or window- frame, no matter how irregular the opening; - you just place your fixing screws, slide the extended arms of the U-shaped shim around them, and when you tighten the fixing screws there's no compression at all. The shims are 5" long, and 2" wide.

      Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
      My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

      Yours in Service,
      Julian Wilson,
      [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" [Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War" ]
      late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
      [the only mediæval living-history Group in "olde" Jersey]
      Meet us at <www.dukesleopards.org >">
      -

      Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
        Working with old houses, the walls, let alone the sills, are not square or
        level. I am not kiding about rebuilding the door frame. Without the sill
        being level both ways it is impossible to get the door to set solidly, swing
        correctly, and have that beautiful 3/32 inch clearance all the way round.

        James Cunningham
        He is not kidding about the retentive thing.

      • Kip Lytle
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
          I believe that the ONLY proper response to that is: "You suck!"

          Caen MacAddis
          (needs a new keyboard because his is covered in drool)

          julian wilson wrote:
          Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
          My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

        • Helen Schultz
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
            Hey, Caen, when did you join this group <smiling broadly>... welcome!!

            And, Julian doesn't "suck"... he just likes to gloat <grin> ... oh, hi, Julian.

            Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
            Middle Kingdom

            The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
              ... and, had I the good fortune to find what Julian found...  I would, in all likelihood...  do precisely the same!  Wow... what a 'find'...
              Chas.

              =================

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005

                Please allow me to be the first to say, from the heart, that “you suck.”

                And I mean that in the most envious way.

                Master William McNaughton, CL
                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                  The proper curse is: "May the tempered nail find a home in your planner blade."

                  James Cunningham
                  Who has worked with old timbers

                  julian wilson wrote:
                  Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                  My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                • Arthur Slaughter
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005

                    >Working with old houses, the walls, let alone the sills, are not square or
                    >level. I am not kiding about rebuilding the door frame. Without the sill
                    >being level both ways it is impossible to get the door to set solidly,
                    >swing
                    >correctly, and have that beautiful 3/32 inch clearance all the way round.
                    >
                    >James Cunningham

                    Having the joy of living in a hundred year old house that was not only moved
                    to this site in the fifties, but also had a new foundation put under it in
                    the seventies, I am in agreement with the whole idea of reframing doors.

                    I have one that swings right. My buddy , the former owner went cheap and now
                    I am redoing all his work.
                    THL Finn