Re: [MedievalSawdust] Learning

  • maf@gleichen.ca
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
      Having just finished in november with the installation of the exterior doors
      and windows in the house I'm building (yes I'm crazy) I found something new
      in Homedepot, it's synthetic shims made of the same stuff tex decking is
      made of (wood and plastic) they were way easier too use than the stupid
      cedar ones I've previously used, the same price and they don't split crack
      or warp and they slip in easier.

      Mark

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
        maf@... wrote:
        Having just finished in november with the installation of the exterior doors and windows SNIP I found something new SNIP synthetic shims made of ......(wood and plastic) they were way easier to use than the stupid cedar ones I've previously used, the same price and they don't split crack or warp and they slip in easier.
        COMMENT
        Hi, Guys, I lurk on this List, and enjoy learning from your exchanges the odd stuff that 35 years as a professional woodworker haven't already taught me.
        Specifically, your comments and researches on historical woodworking, and your reports on your experiments in replicating the same.
        But this post surprises me.
        Since I started watching "New Yankee Workshop" on our Satllite TV Channels, years back, -  I have become quite sure that professional craftsmen in the US Construction Industry enjoy many advantages that are not available to thoss of us who practice for example - the Woodworkers' Craft in the UK. Innovative products from inventive US Manufacturers; tools that our local Tool Merchants swear don't exist at all - but which I can find at online US Merchants such as "Coastal Tool & Supply" - to the extent that I don't buy tools in the UK any longer - unless they are simply too heavy - or too expensive to ship "across the Pond".
        But  graduated synthetic packing wedges?
        For at least the last 15 years - if memory serves - we in the UK Construction Industry have been able to buy plastic Frame Shims, shaped like an elongated "U", and graduated upwards from 1mm to 10mm in thickness, and colour-coded for thickness-ID, as well. I've worked in Frabnce and Germany as well, and I know these shims are also to be found in Builders' Merchants in those 2 Countries.
        Am I to take this post - because of Mat's surprise - as meaning that your US Construction Industry doesn't have the same product widely available "off the shelf" from your own Builders' Merchants?
        Interestedly yours

        Julian Wilson,
        in "olde" Jersey.

      • Joseph Paul
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
          Isn't that the way of it? What do you suppose happened? I tend to really wonder what my past lives were like at that point to earn me such bedevilment now.

          Jamie Blackrose
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
            They may have been available earlier, I just found them this year and I know Homedepot didn't have them 2 years ago. These look just like a traditional shim in shape but are light brown and are a wod dust with plastic binder.

            Mark

            ----- Original Message ----- From: julian wilson

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
              maf@... wrote:
              They may have been available earlier, I just found them this year and I know Homedepot didn't have them 2 years ago. These look just like a traditional shim in shape but are light brown and are a wod dust with plastic binder.
              REPLY
              Mat,
              OK, understood. Just wondered, because you have so much kit that isn't available to us on this side of the Pond.

              Julian,
              in "olde" Jersey.

              Yours in Service,
              Julian Wilson,
              [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" [Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War" ]
              late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
              "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
              [the only mediæval living-history Group in "olde" Jersey]
              Meet us at <www.dukesleopards.org >">
              -

            • James Renfro
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                Hello all. I too am one of the lurkers of this list. I am also a Cabinet/woodworker by trade for the last five years, and a veteran of the dreaded installations and I have never heard of plastic shims. I would be interested to hear if there are any problems or troubles with them.

                In service
                James Renfro
                AKA Seamus McAlister
                Shire of Vulpine Reach
                Chattanooga, Tn. , USA

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                  Having hung doors professionally, I learned a few
                  tricks
                  for hanging doors.

                  My favorite for doors that don't seem to fix
                  correctly....

                  Blame the framers.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                    > Am I to take this post - because of Mat's surprise
                    > - as meaning that your US Construction Industry
                    > doesn't have the same product widely available "off
                    > the shelf" from your own Builders' Merchants?
                    > Interestedly yours
                    >
                    > Julian Wilson,
                    > in "olde" Jersey.

                    less than 1 year previous to this email the new home
                    construction trade in Ohio and Kentucky uses wooden
                    shims
                    ( about 12" long ) Cedar or other crappy woods that
                    are'nt
                    good for much else'.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • julian wilson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                      James Renfro <jmrenfro@...> wrote:
                      Hello all. I too am one of the lurkers of this list. I am also a Cabinet/woodworker by trade for the last five years, and a veteran of the dreaded installations and I have never heard of plastic shims. I would be interested to hear if there are any problems or troubles with them.

                      No problems I've ever experienced, or even heard of.
                       I carry a mixed handful of the most common shim thicknesses in my van, and find them particularly useful for the installation of window cills, expecially deep ones [a typical local "barn conversion" can call for window cills  28 " front to back because of the original granite walls, the 4"cavity, the 4" concrete blocks of the new inner wall, and the 2.5" thick Thermaboard], door linings - especially those deeper than 5.25 ", and fitted-bedroom- and fitted-kitchen installations.
                      Using the graduated, hard-plastic shims makes it both quick and easy to obtain a perfectly plumb and level and plane door- or window- frame, no matter how irregular the opening; - you just place your fixing screws, slide the extended arms of the U-shaped shim around them, and when you tighten the fixing screws there's no compression at all. The shims are 5" long, and 2" wide.

                      Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                      My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                      Yours in Service,
                      Julian Wilson,
                      [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" [Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War" ]
                      late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                      [the only mediæval living-history Group in "olde" Jersey]
                      Meet us at <www.dukesleopards.org >">
                      -

                      Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!
                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                        Working with old houses, the walls, let alone the sills, are not square or
                        level. I am not kiding about rebuilding the door frame. Without the sill
                        being level both ways it is impossible to get the door to set solidly, swing
                        correctly, and have that beautiful 3/32 inch clearance all the way round.

                        James Cunningham
                        He is not kidding about the retentive thing.

                      • Kip Lytle
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                          I believe that the ONLY proper response to that is: "You suck!"

                          Caen MacAddis
                          (needs a new keyboard because his is covered in drool)

                          julian wilson wrote:
                          Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                          My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                        • Helen Schultz
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                            Hey, Caen, when did you join this group <smiling broadly>... welcome!!

                            And, Julian doesn't "suck"... he just likes to gloat <grin> ... oh, hi, Julian.

                            Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
                            Middle Kingdom

                            The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

                          • James Winkler
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                              ... and, had I the good fortune to find what Julian found...  I would, in all likelihood...  do precisely the same!  Wow... what a 'find'...
                              Chas.

                              =================

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005

                                Please allow me to be the first to say, from the heart, that “you suck.”

                                And I mean that in the most envious way.

                                Master William McNaughton, CL
                                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                                  The proper curse is: "May the tempered nail find a home in your planner blade."

                                  James Cunningham
                                  Who has worked with old timbers

                                  julian wilson wrote:
                                  Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                                  My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                                • Arthur Slaughter
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005

                                    >Working with old houses, the walls, let alone the sills, are not square or
                                    >level. I am not kiding about rebuilding the door frame. Without the sill
                                    >being level both ways it is impossible to get the door to set solidly,
                                    >swing
                                    >correctly, and have that beautiful 3/32 inch clearance all the way round.
                                    >
                                    >James Cunningham

                                    Having the joy of living in a hundred year old house that was not only moved
                                    to this site in the fifties, but also had a new foundation put under it in
                                    the seventies, I am in agreement with the whole idea of reframing doors.

                                    I have one that swings right. My buddy , the former owner went cheap and now
                                    I am redoing all his work.
                                    THL Finn