Learning

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
      Over the holidays I'm making some custom casement windows and a pair of
      French doors and have been reading up on the subject to avoid the
      obvious failures. In one of my books, in the forward, the author tells
      about the first time he hung a door and what a mess it was. After
      about 20 different adjustments, trimmings and rehangs he's mostly there
      but has pretty much decided he never wants to hang another door again
      as long as he lives. At theis point he makes some disparaging remark
      about how things have been going when the home-owner say's something
      like, "Yeah, but it looks like you're winning".

      The take home message - learning isn't loosing. It just feels like it.

      Avery
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
        I have done both, the French door is a pain because you have to get both
        doors to swing and meet in the middle. The key I have found is have plenty
        of wedges(to shim with) a REAL good level and try to get the frame for the
        windows and doors as strait as possible befor puting them in(especially the
        bottom sill on the doors if it is not level the doors never will be. Do not
        be afraid to rebuild the house to get it level, it will be less frustrating
        in the long run). OH yea a bigger rough opening is better you have more
        room to play. Just make sure you have plenty of stuffing to fill the
        cracks.

        James Cunningham
        Supervising carpenter on Erik the Scouts house and fixer of Countes
        Shara's...thing.

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005

          You know, it was the damned-est thing.

          I, too, have been tortured by the evil process of door-hanging.

          Whittle, chisel, pray, and try again.

          So my buddy decides he’s gonna put a partition wall in his basement, and is too cheap to buy a pre-hung door.

          He wants to hand-hang it.  So I warns him.

          We warns him we do.  Many times.  Evil, tricksy doorframes.

          The little bastard went in straight, level, even and clean on the first try.

          It would stay open, hang half-open, and close neatly.

          Click.

          Took 15 minutes including cutting the mortises.

          Bastard.

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005

            I think that’s why the Evil Door That Made Me Look Like An Idiot went in so easy.

            We were very, very anal about square, plumb framing to start with.

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
              Having just finished in november with the installation of the exterior doors
              and windows in the house I'm building (yes I'm crazy) I found something new
              in Homedepot, it's synthetic shims made of the same stuff tex decking is
              made of (wood and plastic) they were way easier too use than the stupid
              cedar ones I've previously used, the same price and they don't split crack
              or warp and they slip in easier.

              Mark

              >I have done both, the French door is a pain because you have to get both
              > doors to swing and meet in the middle. The key I have found is have
              > plenty
              > of wedges(to shim with) a REAL good level and try to get the frame for the
              > windows and doors as strait as possible befor puting them in(especially
              > the
              > bottom sill on the doors if it is not level the doors never will be. Do
              > not
              > be afraid to rebuild the house to get it level, it will be less
              > frustrating
              > in the long run). OH yea a bigger rough opening is better you have more
              > room to play. Just make sure you have plenty of stuffing to fill the
              > cracks.
              >
              > James Cunningham
              > Supervising carpenter on Erik the Scouts house and fixer of Countes
              > Shara's...thing.

            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                maf@... wrote:
                Having just finished in november with the installation of the exterior doors and windows SNIP I found something new SNIP synthetic shims made of ......(wood and plastic) they were way easier to use than the stupid cedar ones I've previously used, the same price and they don't split crack or warp and they slip in easier.
                COMMENT
                Hi, Guys, I lurk on this List, and enjoy learning from your exchanges the odd stuff that 35 years as a professional woodworker haven't already taught me.
                Specifically, your comments and researches on historical woodworking, and your reports on your experiments in replicating the same.
                But this post surprises me.
                Since I started watching "New Yankee Workshop" on our Satllite TV Channels, years back, -  I have become quite sure that professional craftsmen in the US Construction Industry enjoy many advantages that are not available to thoss of us who practice for example - the Woodworkers' Craft in the UK. Innovative products from inventive US Manufacturers; tools that our local Tool Merchants swear don't exist at all - but which I can find at online US Merchants such as "Coastal Tool & Supply" - to the extent that I don't buy tools in the UK any longer - unless they are simply too heavy - or too expensive to ship "across the Pond".
                But  graduated synthetic packing wedges?
                For at least the last 15 years - if memory serves - we in the UK Construction Industry have been able to buy plastic Frame Shims, shaped like an elongated "U", and graduated upwards from 1mm to 10mm in thickness, and colour-coded for thickness-ID, as well. I've worked in Frabnce and Germany as well, and I know these shims are also to be found in Builders' Merchants in those 2 Countries.
                Am I to take this post - because of Mat's surprise - as meaning that your US Construction Industry doesn't have the same product widely available "off the shelf" from your own Builders' Merchants?
                Interestedly yours

                Julian Wilson,
                in "olde" Jersey.

              • Joseph Paul
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                  Isn't that the way of it? What do you suppose happened? I tend to really wonder what my past lives were like at that point to earn me such bedevilment now.

                  Jamie Blackrose

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                    They may have been available earlier, I just found them this year and I know Homedepot didn't have them 2 years ago. These look just like a traditional shim in shape but are light brown and are a wod dust with plastic binder.

                    Mark

                    ----- Original Message ----- From: julian wilson

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                      maf@... wrote:
                      They may have been available earlier, I just found them this year and I know Homedepot didn't have them 2 years ago. These look just like a traditional shim in shape but are light brown and are a wod dust with plastic binder.
                      REPLY
                      Mat,
                      OK, understood. Just wondered, because you have so much kit that isn't available to us on this side of the Pond.

                      Julian,
                      in "olde" Jersey.

                      Yours in Service,
                      Julian Wilson,
                      [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" [Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War" ]
                      late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                      [the only mediæval living-history Group in "olde" Jersey]
                      Meet us at <www.dukesleopards.org >">
                      -

                    • James Renfro
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                        Hello all. I too am one of the lurkers of this list. I am also a Cabinet/woodworker by trade for the last five years, and a veteran of the dreaded installations and I have never heard of plastic shims. I would be interested to hear if there are any problems or troubles with them.

                        In service
                        James Renfro
                        AKA Seamus McAlister
                        Shire of Vulpine Reach
                        Chattanooga, Tn. , USA

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                          Having hung doors professionally, I learned a few
                          tricks
                          for hanging doors.

                          My favorite for doors that don't seem to fix
                          correctly....

                          Blame the framers.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                            > Am I to take this post - because of Mat's surprise
                            > - as meaning that your US Construction Industry
                            > doesn't have the same product widely available "off
                            > the shelf" from your own Builders' Merchants?
                            > Interestedly yours
                            >
                            > Julian Wilson,
                            > in "olde" Jersey.

                            less than 1 year previous to this email the new home
                            construction trade in Ohio and Kentucky uses wooden
                            shims
                            ( about 12" long ) Cedar or other crappy woods that
                            are'nt
                            good for much else'.

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • julian wilson
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                              James Renfro <jmrenfro@...> wrote:
                              Hello all. I too am one of the lurkers of this list. I am also a Cabinet/woodworker by trade for the last five years, and a veteran of the dreaded installations and I have never heard of plastic shims. I would be interested to hear if there are any problems or troubles with them.

                              No problems I've ever experienced, or even heard of.
                               I carry a mixed handful of the most common shim thicknesses in my van, and find them particularly useful for the installation of window cills, expecially deep ones [a typical local "barn conversion" can call for window cills  28 " front to back because of the original granite walls, the 4"cavity, the 4" concrete blocks of the new inner wall, and the 2.5" thick Thermaboard], door linings - especially those deeper than 5.25 ", and fitted-bedroom- and fitted-kitchen installations.
                              Using the graduated, hard-plastic shims makes it both quick and easy to obtain a perfectly plumb and level and plane door- or window- frame, no matter how irregular the opening; - you just place your fixing screws, slide the extended arms of the U-shaped shim around them, and when you tighten the fixing screws there's no compression at all. The shims are 5" long, and 2" wide.

                              Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                              My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                              Yours in Service,
                              Julian Wilson,
                              [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: Motto  - "Si vis pacem, para bellum" [Trans:-"if you wish for Peace, prepare for War" ]
                              late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                              "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                              [the only mediæval living-history Group in "olde" Jersey]
                              Meet us at <www.dukesleopards.org >">
                              -

                              Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!
                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 14, 2005
                                Working with old houses, the walls, let alone the sills, are not square or
                                level. I am not kiding about rebuilding the door frame. Without the sill
                                being level both ways it is impossible to get the door to set solidly, swing
                                correctly, and have that beautiful 3/32 inch clearance all the way round.

                                James Cunningham
                                He is not kidding about the retentive thing.

                              • Kip Lytle
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                                  I believe that the ONLY proper response to that is: "You suck!"

                                  Caen MacAddis
                                  (needs a new keyboard because his is covered in drool)

                                  julian wilson wrote:
                                  Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                                  My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                                • Helen Schultz
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                                    Hey, Caen, when did you join this group <smiling broadly>... welcome!!

                                    And, Julian doesn't "suck"... he just likes to gloat <grin> ... oh, hi, Julian.

                                    Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
                                    Middle Kingdom

                                    The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

                                  • James Winkler
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                                      ... and, had I the good fortune to find what Julian found...  I would, in all likelihood...  do precisely the same!  Wow... what a 'find'...
                                      Chas.

                                      =================

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005

                                        Please allow me to be the first to say, from the heart, that “you suck.”

                                        And I mean that in the most envious way.

                                        Master William McNaughton, CL
                                        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005
                                          The proper curse is: "May the tempered nail find a home in your planner blade."

                                          James Cunningham
                                          Who has worked with old timbers

                                          julian wilson wrote:
                                          Talking barn conversions, BTW, - read the following and weep, guys: - we are just re-roofing an old farmhouse complex being turned into 8 dwelling units; and I have acquired several tons of the original roof and barn-floor timbers, dating from the 17th and late 18th Centuries. All in good condition, and re-cycleable. Oak and pitchpine. Plus four oak lintols from the first late 15th Century farmhouse on the site, which became first the dower cottage, and then the herdsman's cottage as the family got richer, and susequently built  bigger & better houses alongside each-other [roughly one every century].
                                          My Living History group will not only be able to have reproduction furniture and other woodwork items, they'll be able to have them made from antique timber!

                                        • Arthur Slaughter
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 15, 2005

                                            >Working with old houses, the walls, let alone the sills, are not square or
                                            >level. I am not kiding about rebuilding the door frame. Without the sill
                                            >being level both ways it is impossible to get the door to set solidly,
                                            >swing
                                            >correctly, and have that beautiful 3/32 inch clearance all the way round.
                                            >
                                            >James Cunningham

                                            Having the joy of living in a hundred year old house that was not only moved
                                            to this site in the fifties, but also had a new foundation put under it in
                                            the seventies, I am in agreement with the whole idea of reframing doors.

                                            I have one that swings right. My buddy , the former owner went cheap and now
                                            I am redoing all his work.
                                            THL Finn