Re: [medievalsawdust] Wood finishes

  • Anthony Craft
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2003
      Hey that's two of us trying this out! The latest Lee Valley catalog had a
      nice "insert" article regarding ammonia aging/colouring of different
      hardwoods (all with good tannin) to get the "been in the barn" look. I've
      been waiting 'til the weather turns a bit nicer before I started work on
      this. Despite the various dangers of this technique, it is supposed to get
      some very deep absorption ranging from 1/2" to 2" on end grain. There are
      warnings about putting the newly "ammonia'd" item near other hardwoods due
      to out gassing. As for being period, we're just accelerating a naturally
      occurring process that's been around as long as humans have domesticated
      animals!
      Iain Ruadh

      --
      THL Sgt. Iain Ruadh
      Pentamere Region, Midrealm

      "His troops would follow him anywhere ...
      but only out of curiosity!"

      www.pentamerefreecompany.com
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2003

        Hey Iain..  just picked up a cool book called "In the Craftsman Style" (by the editors of 'Fine Woodworking') [ISBN - 1561583987).  Besides having some spiffy plans that I might use around the house, there's a really nice section on the fuming process and some quality photos of the process used on maple and a couple of other woods.  The author of this article also talks about letting the piece outgass for 8 to 12 hours before finishing with a sealer of various varieties…

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2003

          > Now. if I can just convince m'Lady to let me build
          > an ammonia vapor chamber in the back yard.
          >
          > Chas.

          How to convince your m'Lady....

          step 1. Start to build a fuming chamber in
          the basement.

          I think step 2 should be obvious....

          step 2. Offer to move it to the backyard.

          =====

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • john j tobako
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2003
            > > Now. if I can just convince m'Lady to let me build
            > > an ammonia vapor chamber in the back yard.
            > >
            > > Chas.
            > >
            > How to convince your m'Lady....
            >
            > step 1. Start to build a fuming chamber in
            > the basement.
            >
            > I think step 2 should be obvious....
            >
            > step 2. Offer to move it to the backyard.

            step 3. plead to be let back in...

            john tobako

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2003
              I have heard about doing this using just a framework and a plastic tarp
              taped to make a tent over your items, easier to adjust the size and gone
              when you are done. Just make sure you get a good seal to keep the ammonia
              in as long as you need it and keep the kids, pets, and stray animals away..
              Not the misquiotes... let them hang out as close as they want.....

              --
              YIS,

              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              Privateer to the Midrealm