Re: Scribes' "writing slope"

  • caradoc1415
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
      I tried responding once, but got an error message. I hope this is not
      a duplicate!

      Carol Gerten-Jackson's excellent fine arts site also has this
      painting available for view:

      http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/messina/p-messina8.htm

      Paintings of the Annunciation do seem particularly useful for details
      of period household furnishings ...

      --Caradoc Llew Du ap Morgan, Northshield

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dan Baker <LordRhys@g...>
      wrote:

      > I am not sure if this picture will attach, but this is an
      interesting piece.
      > Not so much a writing slope as a reading slope. It shows a book on
      a small
      > slope, not a box type. It has no place to store writing supplies.
      It is
      > sitting on a table. Simple but nice, I think I might make some. The
      painting
      > is Antonello da Messina's Virgin Annunciate. It is dated 1470.
      >
      > -Rhys
      >
      > On 11/3/05, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gentle Mistress Katerina,
      > > I doe commend me unto Thee, and most hartilie doe I thank thee
      for thy
      > > speedy response unto my questing missive.
      > > Both writings by Thee set down have I speedily 'scried,
      and 'marked, -
      > > more fully to learn and inwardly digest at mine own leisure, this
      se'enight
      > > coming, as it pleseth God.
      > > May Our Lord shower His Grace upon Thee and Thy House; and my
      Thy Works
      > > prosper under His protection, until He calls us Home for
      Armageddon, and The
      > > Judgement follawing.
      > >

      > > Yours in service,
      > > Julian Wilson,
      > > [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor &
      Castellan of

      Centre*<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centr
      e/*http://uk.security.yahoo.com/>