[Fwd: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium files for November]

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2005
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [SCA-AS] Stefan's Florilegium files for November
      Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 00:29:47 -0600
      From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous@...>
      SCA-Arts-Sciences maillist <artssciences@...>

      Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for the month of November
      detailing the new files in the Florilegium this month.

      This message should be going to all kingdom mailing lists. If you are
      on another list, so you have seen this, but you don't see it on your
      kingdom list, please let me know so I can work on finding and fixing
      any problems.

      I also create a version of this article each month for websites,
      which includes links for each file. If you run a website and would
      like to be added to my monthly list to get a copy of the web version
      of this article, please contact me.

      If you have written an article that you, or your friends, think would
      be a good addition to the Florilegium, please send a copy to me. The
      author keeps the copyright to any material I use and its a good way
      to help out others all around the Known World. If you have an idea
      for an article you would like to see, please email me with the
      suggestion and I will add it to my "Article Ideas list" which
      hopefully will get added to the site soon.

      Stefan
      -------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
      article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
      it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
      more details.

      I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
      me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
      editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
      details.

      For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
      another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
      the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
      overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      glovs-mittns-lnks Links to info on medieval gloves and mittens
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the ANIMALS section:
      falcons-hwks-lnks Links to info on medieval hunting with hawks
      and falcons by Dame Aoife Finn.
      In the CHIVALRY section:
      2Squire-r-Not-art “To Squire or Not to Squire? That is the
      question???” by Viscount Sterling, KSCA
      In the COMBAT section:
      p-tourn-styls-lnks Links to information on medieval tournament
      styles by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the CRAFTS section:
      hand-crafts-lnks Links to info on medieval “Little” arts for
      idle hands by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Portugal-msg Food of medieval Portugal. References.
      In the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
      Enseignements-art A translation of a 14th C. German manuscript
      on preparing meats by Daniel Myers (Doc).
      In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
      sauerkraut-msg Period sauerkraut and pickled cabbage.
      In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
      Dueling-SCA-art “Dueling, Rules of the Road” by Viscount
      Sterling, KSCA

      Here is one of the updated files.
      knighthood-msg Knighthood in SCA and period.

      This is the month of November. In medieval times, the last of the
      fall harvest was being gathered in and folks were celebrating various
      harvest and Thanksgiving festivals. Here are a few files connected
      with this season:
      butchering-msg Overview of butchering livestock and game.
      cider-msg Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
      fruit-pies-msg Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.
      ham-msg Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
      Ital-Stuffing-art "Stuffing Recipes from 16th Century Italian
      Cookbooks" by Lady Helewyse de Birkestad.
      maize-msg Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in the
      Americas and its introduction to Europe.
      nuts-msg Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
      perry-msg A cider made with pear juice.
      puddings-msg Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
      turkeys-msg Use of turkeys in Renaissance Europe.
      ---
      Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
      Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
      if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
      publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

      <end>
      --------
      Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas
      StefanliRous@...