Viking stools

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24 6:27 AM
      Hej,

      My viking stools from the sven skilbiter site:

      http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html#Figure
      %201.

      came out pretty good. I went to a lumber yard in the area that
      carried more than yer average lumber, but could not get 1x12 birch,
      so I settled for 1x12 oak. I made the legs about 18" long (before
      insertion into the stool seat) and angled them at 15 degrees, because
      20 degrees as specified in the webpage seemed a little bit excessive
      to me. I used 1 1/4" hardwood dowels for the legs, and went over
      them with a wood rasp to rough them up a bit, and make them look a
      LITTLE bit less like dowels. I used that technique I was asking
      about, of slotting the inserted portion of the leg and hammering in a
      wedge to separate and tighten the leg inserted in the hole, and with
      the glue, it is solid. I rounded the edges a bit, and smoothed the
      seat a bit, as the oak was rough cut.

      For myself being a non-joiner, I was pleased with the results, and
      surprised at how sturdy these stools are. Yes, I know that a tripod
      is inherently stable, but I had my doubts about the single leg at the
      back. As it turns out, unless one leans one's whole body weight back
      and to the left or right acutely, the stool is steady as a rock.

      I got my two stools done in time to use in my group's demo last
      Friday, and as I have more time now, I will go back and shape and
      sand the seat a bit more, and apply a tung oil finish.

      -Charlie