Re: Portability myth?

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2 4:56 PM
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Conal O'hAirt Jim
      Hart <baronconal@y...> wrote:

      > Hey, I'm going back over to London in October.
      > How does one go about seeing this sotrage facility?
      >
      > Hope you took pictures!
      > ( and are willing to share.... )

      You have to make an appointment with one of the curators. It
      helps if you can be specific about what you're interested in, the
      more specific the better.

      I did take pictures (oh, about 700 over 2 weeks, mostly
      medieval/Elizabethan furniture and architecture), but at most
      places that allow photography, it's for "personal study" only. The
      V&A folks were rather specific about that bit. But if someone is
      interested in something specific, we might be able to work out a
      private swap.

      If you have the time, I strongly urge a daytrip down to Portsmouth
      to see the Mary Rose. The hull is remarkable, and the artifacts in
      the museum are really amazing. The Weald and Downland
      Museum (near Chichester) is also well worth the trip.

      Thomas
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3 5:48 PM
        What am I interrested in?....

        hmmm...

        Stuff made from wood.
        ( if I have to get more
        specific 14th Cen, boxes
        chests, coffers, chairs,
        tools.... )

        > If you have the time, I strongly urge a daytrip down
        > to Portsmouth
        > to see the Mary Rose. The hull is remarkable, and
        > the artifacts in
        > the museum are really amazing. The Weald and
        > Downland
        > Museum (near Chichester) is also well worth the
        > trip.

        This time the trip away from London
        is north to York and Lees

        =====

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Tom Rettie
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4 3:40 AM
          >This time the trip away from London
          >is north to York and Lees

          York also has some excellent stuff. Barley Hall has excellent reproductions
          of period furniture, and great prices on period pottery. The Yorkshire
          Museum has wooden artifacts from the excavations in York, including wooden
          bowls, turning cores, etc. Jorvik is a little hokey but still fun and does
          contain some woodworking artifacts. The Merchant Adventurers' Hall was
          closed when we were there, but is an impressive 14th c. building (and
          contains some furniture). And of course York Minster is incredible. We
          extended our stay in York because we were having such a good time, and will
          probably go back.

          Leeds of course has the Royal Armouries. Once you find them, they're a lot
          of fun.

          Thomas

          Tom Rettie tom@...
          http://www.his.com/~tom/index.html