Re: [MedievalSawdust] Scribes' "writing slope"

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
      Matthew Baker
      unto
      The Lord Rhys,
      Greetings.

      Dear Cousin in Chivalry,
      I do commend me unto thee, and doe most hartilie thank thee for affording unto me  mention of Maestro Antonio da Messina's painting most excellent of "The Virgin Annunciate", Her writing slope.

      God grant thee joy of the Day, this Feast of St. Elizabeth; and may His  Blessing be upon thy House and thy Works until He calls us to his Heavenly Host for Armageddon, and the Judgement following.

      Yours in service,
      Julian Wilson,
      [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
      late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
      [the only medieval living-history Group
      in "olde" Jersey]

    • caradoc1415
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
        I tried responding once, but got an error message. I hope this is not
        a duplicate!

        Carol Gerten-Jackson's excellent fine arts site also has this
        painting available for view:

        http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/messina/p-messina8.htm

        Paintings of the Annunciation do seem particularly useful for details
        of period household furnishings ...

        --Caradoc Llew Du ap Morgan, Northshield

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dan Baker <LordRhys@g...>
        wrote:

        > I am not sure if this picture will attach, but this is an
        interesting piece.
        > Not so much a writing slope as a reading slope. It shows a book on
        a small
        > slope, not a box type. It has no place to store writing supplies.
        It is
        > sitting on a table. Simple but nice, I think I might make some. The
        painting
        > is Antonello da Messina's Virgin Annunciate. It is dated 1470.
        >
        > -Rhys
        >
        > On 11/3/05, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Gentle Mistress Katerina,
        > > I doe commend me unto Thee, and most hartilie doe I thank thee
        for thy
        > > speedy response unto my questing missive.
        > > Both writings by Thee set down have I speedily 'scried,
        and 'marked, -
        > > more fully to learn and inwardly digest at mine own leisure, this
        se'enight
        > > coming, as it pleseth God.
        > > May Our Lord shower His Grace upon Thee and Thy House; and my
        Thy Works
        > > prosper under His protection, until He calls us Home for
        Armageddon, and The

        Centre*<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centr
        e/*http://uk.security.yahoo.com/>