Re: So let's say you're going to be in England....

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Terafan Greydragon" <terafan@g...> wrote:

      > Additionally, if you coordinate with the V&A *now*, you might be able to
      > make an appointment to go to their stores building to see the famous chest
      > (with the three different chip carved roundels).

      On our trip in 2003 we had a tour of the storage facility (by appointment). They were very
      helpful and cooperative, but obviously they are also extremely security conscious. They
      allowed photographs as long as they were for private use only.

      In London, I also strongly recommend a visit to the Museum of London. The Tower of
      London as some nice period furniture in the Raleigh apartments, though you can't access
      it very closely. There's some nice stuff at Hampton Court Palace, though photography is
      only permitted in the kitchens.

      I also strongly suggest the Weald and Downland museum. It's an easy daytrip out of
      London by train, and consists of historic structures that have been relocated to an open air
      museum, many of them filled with reconstruction furniture. Because it's reconstruction,
      they don't mind at all if you play with it. Check their website, they also occasionally offer
      some very cool classes, including one on 16th century furniture-making trades taught by
      Victor Chinnery.

      The Mary Rose museum in Portsmouth is also well worth a visit. It too can be done as a
      daytrip out of London by train.

      We did Portobello Road on a Saturday morning, and most of the tools (and much stuff in
      general) was overpriced and not in very good shape if you're looking for working tools and
      not collector objects. I've been told you'll do better outside of London, where everything
      tends to be expensive.

      If you can, York is a great town for a day or two. There's some nice furniture in the Minster
      and the Jorvik exhibit is fun. The Merchant hall was closed when we were there, I'm told
      they have some nice bits. Don't overlook the Yorkshire Museum either, several nice pieces
      of early bowls and misc. woodbits. Nice bookshops too.

      Fin
      (Tom R.)