RE: [MedievalSawdust] So let's say you're going to be in England....

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005

      Where in England.  It’s larger than it looks.

      If I’m in London, I will be at the Portabello Road street market on Market Day.  That’s where I found antique tools for far less pain than the Lie Nielsen web site.

      The Victoria and Albert Museum and the Museum of London.

      Find a way to get to Saffon Weld.  There’s a portable tudor bed there that I’d LOVE to see.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005
        Greetings from Terafan,

           What Master Will means is the museum in Saffron Walden, up the M-11 towards Cambridge, but not all the way.

        Also, I would add the Bishop's Palace in Wells, where you can see the original Glastonbury chair....

        Additionally, if you coordinate with the V&A *now*, you might be able to make an appointment to go to their stores building to see the famous chest (with the three different chip carved roundels).   I was there two days ago (looking at / photographing misericords) and have an appointment for 4 January to see that chest and a Glastonbury chair they have.   Their furniture appointments are usually every other Wednesday, so it depends.

        cheers,
         Terafan.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Terafan Greydragon" <terafan@g...> wrote:

          > Additionally, if you coordinate with the V&A *now*, you might be able to
          > make an appointment to go to their stores building to see the famous chest
          > (with the three different chip carved roundels).

          On our trip in 2003 we had a tour of the storage facility (by appointment). They were very
          helpful and cooperative, but obviously they are also extremely security conscious. They
          allowed photographs as long as they were for private use only.

          In London, I also strongly recommend a visit to the Museum of London. The Tower of
          London as some nice period furniture in the Raleigh apartments, though you can't access
          it very closely. There's some nice stuff at Hampton Court Palace, though photography is
          only permitted in the kitchens.

          I also strongly suggest the Weald and Downland museum. It's an easy daytrip out of
          London by train, and consists of historic structures that have been relocated to an open air
          museum, many of them filled with reconstruction furniture. Because it's reconstruction,
          they don't mind at all if you play with it. Check their website, they also occasionally offer
          some very cool classes, including one on 16th century furniture-making trades taught by
          Victor Chinnery.

          The Mary Rose museum in Portsmouth is also well worth a visit. It too can be done as a
          daytrip out of London by train.

          We did Portobello Road on a Saturday morning, and most of the tools (and much stuff in
          general) was overpriced and not in very good shape if you're looking for working tools and
          not collector objects. I've been told you'll do better outside of London, where everything
          tends to be expensive.

          If you can, York is a great town for a day or two. There's some nice furniture in the Minster
          and the Jorvik exhibit is fun. The Merchant hall was closed when we were there, I'm told
          they have some nice bits. Don't overlook the Yorkshire Museum either, several nice pieces
          of early bowls and misc. woodbits. Nice bookshops too.

          Fin
          (Tom R.)