Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: was honing a draw knife / now sharpening gouges.

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
      Hey Magnus…

      >> Inherited syndrome and too much manual
      repetitive motion making a large
      variety of things (furniture, plastics, cabinets, woodwork) disabled me
      years earlier than it should have. <<

      Yea… but it gave ya' the time to be a great asset to the rest of us as far as research goes!  I look forward to those things that pop up in this e-mail or that… on this list or that… and then following the clues you sprinkle about… or just reading the cool stuff you put up.  Hat's off to ya'!!!

      >>  A long time ago I saw a demonstration on a program of
      how flintlock
      rifle reproductions were stained. I cannot remember the chemical used.
      It was applied to the wood and a red hot iron was waved over the
      surface. As heat hit the wet wood it turned a lovely shade of brown
      and the curly grain stood out in contrast. <<

      You may be thinking of an ammonia solution.  I've heard cherry reacts just to heat but it has to be evenly applied… and I THINK its what's used on maple.

      >> Perhaps someone here knows? Perhaps I have the wrong
      memory of the
      wood type used and it was a reaction with tannic acid and rust in
      solution responding to heat.  Walnut has a lot of tannic acid for
      example. Used to give me purple hands for days.  <<

      A mixture of vinegar and rust (let it sit and 'cook' for a while… I find it makes a better solution) when applied to fresh sanded oak turns the oak a nifty black color.  Haven't tried it on walnut… hummm… got some boards in the garage…  anyway.  With the vinegar and rust mixture (I've forgotten the chemical properties of the mess but I'm not 'chemically inclined' so I'd probably botch it anyway…) you don't need heat.  Good clean surface… spread it on… wait a while and… voila' a nice black stain.  Of course… leave an iron hinge on an oak surface and you'll get a nifty 'blackish' image of it as well..

      Chas.

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
        A big drawknife is just the thing for taking the bark off and "working down"
        the back to single grain layer. Mine is a foot from handle to handle and
        the blade 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch. But it is not a spoke shave.

        James Cunningham