Scribes' "writing slope"

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
      Good Gentles All,
      can anyone point me in the direction of details for making a mediæval Scribe's portable "writing Desk" or Tablet?  URL's for mediæval illustrations showing such items in use would also be very helpful.
      And, yes, I have viewed Marko's webpages already, thenk you.
      I'd like to make one as a Christmas present for my wife to use with our Company for the 2006 Season.
      There are two so-called "replica" examples in use at our local Gorey Castle, but they differ in sizes and in the slope-angle.
      Furthermore, given the poor "constructionally-authentic quality" of other replica wooden items displayed at the Castle by the local Museum Service, I have serious doubts about the quality of the prior research before instructions were given to the woodworker who made these two "scribe's portable desks"; - and so do not feel they can be taken as anything more than a general indication of shape and style.

      God's Benison upon you all, this Feast of St. Winifrid, - and until the Judgement.

      Yours in service,
      Julian Wilson,
      [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
      late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
      "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
      [the only medieval living-history Group
      in "olde" Jersey]

    • Helen Schultz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
        Julian:

        Both these people are scribes in the SCA, so the slopes are fairly close to accurate.

        Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
        Middle Kingdom

        The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
          Gentle Mistress Katerina,
          I doe commend me unto Thee, and most hartilie doe I thank thee for thy speedy response unto my questing missive.
          Both writings by Thee set down have I speedily 'scried, and 'marked, - more fully to learn and inwardly digest at mine own leisure, this se'enight coming, as it pleseth God.

          May Our Lord shower His Grace upon Thee and Thy House; and my Thy Works prosper under His  protection, until He calls us Home for Armageddon, and The Judgement follawing.

          Yours in service,
          Julian Wilson,
          [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
          late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
          "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
          [the only medieval living-history Group
          in "olde" Jersey]

        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
            I am not sure if this picture will attach, but this is an interesting piece.  Not so much a writing slope as a reading slope.  It shows a book on a small slope, not a box type.  It has no place to store writing supplies.  It is sitting on a table.  Simple but nice, I think I might make some.  The painting is Antonello da Messina's Virgin Annunciate.  It is dated 1470.

            -Rhys

            On 11/3/05, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
            Gentle Mistress Katerina,
            I doe commend me unto Thee, and most hartilie doe I thank thee for thy speedy response unto my questing missive.
            Both writings by Thee set down have I speedily 'scried, and 'marked, - more fully to learn and inwardly digest at mine own leisure, this se'enight coming, as it pleseth God.

            May Our Lord shower His Grace upon Thee and Thy House; and my Thy Works prosper under His  protection, until He calls us Home for Armageddon, and The Judgement follawing.

            Yours in service,
            Julian Wilson,
            [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
            late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            [the only medieval living-history Group
            in "olde" Jersey]

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
          • julian wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
              Matthew Baker
              unto
              The Lord Rhys,
              Greetings.

              Dear Cousin in Chivalry,
              I do commend me unto thee, and doe most hartilie thank thee for affording unto me  mention of Maestro Antonio da Messina's painting most excellent of "The Virgin Annunciate", Her writing slope.

              God grant thee joy of the Day, this Feast of St. Elizabeth; and may His  Blessing be upon thy House and thy Works until He calls us to his Heavenly Host for Armageddon, and the Judgement following.

              Yours in service,
              Julian Wilson,
              [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
              late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
              "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
              [the only medieval living-history Group
              in "olde" Jersey]

            • caradoc1415
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
                I tried responding once, but got an error message. I hope this is not
                a duplicate!

                Carol Gerten-Jackson's excellent fine arts site also has this
                painting available for view:

                http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/messina/p-messina8.htm

                Paintings of the Annunciation do seem particularly useful for details
                of period household furnishings ...

                --Caradoc Llew Du ap Morgan, Northshield

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dan Baker <LordRhys@g...>

                Centre*<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centr
                e/*http://uk.security.yahoo.com/>