Re: Trebuchet Plans

  • Chris Larsson (Hrelgar)
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
      Here are some instructions:

      http://www.siege-engine.com/seuss/index.shtml

      have fun!

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Karl von Lagerstein"
      <ddordway@a...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if anyone had plans for building a trebuchet.
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
        Is there a web
        resource I can tap for the information needed to help in the
        construction?

        *chuckle*  LOTS of Web resources on this one!

        http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/seemore.html
        http://trebuchet.com/

        Hmmm... there's also a Webring for siege engines, but my link is out of date.  And there used to be a neato site called "The Algorthmic beauty of the Trebuchet," but it has moved or disappeared, and I'm too lazy to Google for it right now.

        Anyway, those two links will definitely get you going.  There are plenty of plans available for trebs of all sizes.  Note that trebuchet plans can't be scaled linearly - you can't take plans for a 16-footer and cut everything in half for an 8-footer; the algorithmic beauty doesn't work that way.  So make sure you find plans for one of the size you really want to build.  I think there are several sets of plans out there for tabletop siege engines of various types, including "Cheesechucker" and "Son of Cheesechucker."

        A friend of mine made one of these and used it to lob things around the cube farm... great fun!

        Cheers,
        Colin

      • Su Ralston
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
          Karl von Lagerstein wrote:

          > I was wondering if anyone had plans for building a trebuchet. I
          > intend to start small with a tabletop version that I can launch grapes
          > with at the head table during our 12th night celebration. Later on, I
          > plan to build a larger version for use at local demos. Is there a web
          > resource I can tap for the information needed to help in the
          > construction?

          There is an SCA Siege Weapons group on Yahoo... you could do a search to
          find them. They would love to help.

          Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
          Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
        • DeLois B. Helm
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
            Try Dried out Marshmellows (let them get really hard)....If you step on grapes, they become slippery, and a mess.

            Mary Rose

            Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:
            Karl von Lagerstein wrote:
            > intend to start small with a tabletop version that I can launch grapes

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • DeLois B. Helm
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005

               "The Algorthmic beauty of the Trebuchet," but it has moved or disappeared, and I'm too lazy to Google for it right now.

              http://www.algobeautytreb.com/

            • Greg Herring
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
                --- Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:
                > There is an SCA Siege Weapons group on Yahoo... you could do a search to
                > find them. They would love to help.

                We're located at: SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com

                Lord Ormgeirr Ormarrsson
                - Baronial Siege Marshal of Bergental
                - East Kingdom Siege Engineers Webminister