RE: [MedievalSawdust] Trebuchet Plans

  • Joseph Paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2005

      Appears to have a number of table top plans available. Can't vouch for the authenticity of them. You may want to look up Dyderich Wolfhart in the Mirdrealm. Here I will make it easy for you: dyderich@.... Dyderich is our local expert on rock tossin' and has been deeply researching these engines for a while including tracking down who is doing cutting edge research in the primary resources.

      In Service,
      Jamie Blackrose
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
        Here are some instructions:

        http://www.siege-engine.com/seuss/index.shtml

        have fun!

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Karl von Lagerstein"
        <ddordway@a...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone had plans for building a trebuchet.
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
          Is there a web
          resource I can tap for the information needed to help in the
          construction?

          *chuckle*  LOTS of Web resources on this one!

          http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/seemore.html
          http://trebuchet.com/

          Hmmm... there's also a Webring for siege engines, but my link is out of date.  And there used to be a neato site called "The Algorthmic beauty of the Trebuchet," but it has moved or disappeared, and I'm too lazy to Google for it right now.

          Anyway, those two links will definitely get you going.  There are plenty of plans available for trebs of all sizes.  Note that trebuchet plans can't be scaled linearly - you can't take plans for a 16-footer and cut everything in half for an 8-footer; the algorithmic beauty doesn't work that way.  So make sure you find plans for one of the size you really want to build.  I think there are several sets of plans out there for tabletop siege engines of various types, including "Cheesechucker" and "Son of Cheesechucker."

          A friend of mine made one of these and used it to lob things around the cube farm... great fun!

          Cheers,
          Colin

        • Su Ralston
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
            Karl von Lagerstein wrote:

            > I was wondering if anyone had plans for building a trebuchet. I
            > intend to start small with a tabletop version that I can launch grapes
            > with at the head table during our 12th night celebration. Later on, I
            > plan to build a larger version for use at local demos. Is there a web
            > resource I can tap for the information needed to help in the
            > construction?

            There is an SCA Siege Weapons group on Yahoo... you could do a search to
            find them. They would love to help.

            Su of the Silver Horn, Caid
            Su Ralston, Fullerton, CA
          • DeLois B. Helm
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
              Try Dried out Marshmellows (let them get really hard)....If you step on grapes, they become slippery, and a mess.

              Mary Rose

              Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:
              Karl von Lagerstein wrote:
              > intend to start small with a tabletop version that I can launch grapes

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • DeLois B. Helm
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005

                 "The Algorthmic beauty of the Trebuchet," but it has moved or disappeared, and I'm too lazy to Google for it right now.

                http://www.algobeautytreb.com/

              • Greg Herring
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
                  --- Su Ralston <suralston@...> wrote:
                  > There is an SCA Siege Weapons group on Yahoo... you could do a search to
                  > find them. They would love to help.

                  We're located at: SCA-Siege@yahoogroups.com

                  Lord Ormgeirr Ormarrsson
                  - Baronial Siege Marshal of Bergental
                  - East Kingdom Siege Engineers Webminister