Saws

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
      >I've been looking for ages to find a period saw...

      When you say period saw, what do you mean? (We'd all
      love the URL of a website with pictures!)

      The frame saw* seems to not have changed much in the
      last 1000 years. You can still get those at most
      specialty woodworking places here in the states. Some
      of the frames are more authentic than others, but
      building one should not prove too much of a challenge.

      The two frame saw blades I have are from a company in
      Germany, but the name eludes me at the moment. Buff
      out the makers mark and you'd pretty much be there.

      The other type of medieval saw I'm familiar with look
      an awful lot like the Japanese Kobiki, Kataba and
      Dozuki saws. I'm not sure if these cut on the draw
      like their Japanese counterparts are not though.

      Avery

      * We can debate what this means but both types, whith
      the rectangular all wood frame** and H-shaped frame
      were there.

      **Anybody know how they tensioned these? I can
      document a period wing nut (No, REALLY! On a suit of
      armor.) but I can't imagine that these were what you
      would call common.
    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005

        [Chuck Phillips] <snip>
        Avery

        * We can debate what this means but both types, whith
        the rectangular all wood frame** and H-shaped frame
        were there.

        **Anybody know how they tensioned these?  I can
        document a period wing nut (No, REALLY!  On a suit of
        armor.) but I can't imagine that these were what you
        would call common.

        [Chuck Phillips] Wing nuts?!?!?  Much simpler is a goodly length of linen cord and a stick.  Wind the cord around the non-blade ends of each leg a few times, place the stick in the middle, and use the stick to put some twist in the cord.  (Remember how to tension a tourniquet from your first-aid training?  Similar concept here.)  When the blade has the desired amount of tension, let the stick rest against the crossbar so it can't rotate (and rap your knuckles), and Bob's your uncle.  Now go make some sawdust.

        [Chuck Phillips] Charles Joiner
        Caid
      • mit1369@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
          On the subject of saws, but definitely not period........

          I have come into the possession of a Reliant band saw model DD90 which unfortunately had a mishap when my Brother was bringing it here. ie. something heavy fell on it which shattered the cast metal trunions and clamp shoes on the work surface. Anyone know who might be in the Cincinnati area who might carry parts for aforementioned saw? It's been in my garage and inactive for much too long.

          Uadahlrich
        • Jon Terris
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2005
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer
            <avery1415@s...> wrote:

            > >I've been looking for ages to find a period saw...
            >
            > When you say period saw, what do you mean? (We'd all
            > love the URL of a website with pictures!)
            >
            > The other type of medieval saw I'm familiar with look
            > an awful lot like the Japanese Kobiki, Kataba and
            > Dozuki saws. I'm not sure if these cut on the draw
            > like their Japanese counterparts are not though.

            It was the "scimitar" type saw I was refering to, large size as in
            Noahs Ark, having used a couple of modern replicas I feel they
            pretty much have to work on the pull.

            > **Anybody know how they tensioned these? I can
            > document a period wing nut (No, REALLY! On a suit of
            > armor.) but I can't imagine that these were what you
            > would call common.

            We use "period" wing nuts on the society trebuchet, they're
            basically filed down square nuts. I'll try and get some photos but
            It won't be till next year now!
          • Heath Barlin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2005
              Do a search on Joseph or Noah and his ark. There are a number of pictures of medieval carpenters and thus saws.

              This has links to a number of other sites with images.

              If you can get a hold of "The Mastermyr Find" by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta Gotland if has late Viking age saws both draw and photographed. I believe they are also in the above link.

              Cheers,
              Heath

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                >Wing nuts?!?!? Much simpler is a goodly length of
                >linen cord and a stick. Wind the cord around the
                non->blade ends of each leg a few times, place the
                stick >in the middle, and use the stick to put some
                twist in >the cord.

                A partial re-edit has left me undone.

                Yes, that gets the kind with a frame shaped like a
                capital H, with the blace across the bottom of the two
                legs and the cord across the top. What I'm wondering
                about is the kind that has a rectangular frame with
                the blade going from one cross bar to another.

                I would expect that they didn't use cord here becasue
                the blade would twist and cause no end of cussing. I
                can imagine a way to do it with wedges but I'm
                wondering if there is artwork somewhere (or an
                artifact) that shows us how they did it.

                Avery
              • Joseph Paul
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                  That is the kind used in a pit saw.
                  Jamie

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                    Try looking for info on a 'shash saw'

                    --- Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:

                    > That is the kind used in a pit saw.
                    > Jamie

                    __________________________________
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 17, 2005
                      If the legs are long enough you could bend them enough to slip them into
                      mortis holes. A three foot 1 by 2 would shorten enough for a 1/2 deep
                      mortis. Or the whole thing could be put together and then bent(with a
                      twisted cord), then the saw blade but in, then the twisted cord removed. The
                      tension on the blade would be only a little less than the tension of the
                      twisted cord.

                      James Cunningham