Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 860

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2005
      >In another forum some one posted that he planed down
      >modern timber to make it more "Medieval". Is this
      >worth it ? or will it just look like messy modern
      >timber?

      If he's actually planing it, it should look like very
      nice modern (or medieval) timber when he's done with
      it. If it doesn't he should re-examine his technique.
      With a sharp well tuned plane and scrapers you can
      make a piece of wood feel perfectly smooth and all but
      glow.

      What he may mean is that when he's using modern two-by
      stock he's plaining it down so it doesn't scream, "I'm
      a 2x8!" Whenever I do a quickie project out of such
      materials I try to take enough wood off of both sides
      to remove the rounded corners. (I usually use the
      electric planer for this not so satisfying task.)

      Avery
    • Joseph Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2005
        I will reduce the thickness of modern "two by" material for the same reason. At 1.25 inches thick people realize that it isn't the same as other pine furniture.

        Jamie Blackrose

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2005
          --- Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:

          > I will reduce the thickness of modern "two by"
          > material for the same reason.
          > At 1.25 inches thick people realize that it isn't
          > the same as other pine
          > furniture.
          >
          > Jamie Blackrose

          I have used 2x10 or 2x12 for various pieces
          of furinture. Sometimes I just trim off the
          rounded edges, sometimes a plane the whole thing
          down to remove the rounded edges.

          On the whole a 2x10 or 2x12 is ( at least in my
          area ) yellow pine and a better quality wood than
          the 1x whatever shi....cra...ummmm stuff that is out
          there.

          I've even ripped a 2x12 into 2x2's to get better
          wood for tent poles that is available as an off
          the rack 2x2.

          yellow pine is a good wood to work with for
          most things. So long as it's not for A&S...

          Why not pine?

          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/