Re: electric motor question

  • sancoeur
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2005
      Dredging up an old thread, I know - but this has been bugging me for
      some reason, and I felt compelled to do some more research. Farin's
      link was a good one for a "yes or no" answer, but I just had to have
      more, which I found at http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/threeph.htm
      (CAUTION: do NOT go here if you don't like math!).

      Then I got to wondering how my motor works just fine in the 120/240
      world, and had a second look. Where the cord goes in is a small
      removeable plate. Take the plate off, and it has a wiring diagram for
      various voltages...and a whole boat-load of connectors. In other
      words, it apparently has an internal capacitor/load balancer, and was
      engineered for use in a variety of computing environments. I got
      lucky.

      Considering the age of the motor, I'd suggest replacing it with a
      single-phase. It's certainly cheaper than trying to get three-phase
      into your shop!

      So to answer your question of "anyone know what I've got?

      A heckofa paperweight, or boat-anchor.

      Wolf