Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hello

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      Mine went in a full inch between the thumb and first finger and I did not feel anything even with it squirting two feet.

      James Cunningham
      -----
      Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 12:39 AM
      Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Hello

      All the way to the joint capsule, and you never felt it?  Boy, it must have been really, really sharp.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        You know I think it would be a good thing for our SO's to not see
        these posts. While mine thinks the story of the chisel in my back as
        funny (and loves to tell it), our more, ah... serious injuries might
        disturb them, I know mine has no idea how I got the scars on my left
        hand...

        Ralg
        AnTir
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          Trust me: they know.

          Master Will
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          You know I think it would be a good thing for our SO's to not see
          these posts. While mine thinks the story of the chisel in my back as
          funny (and loves to tell it), our more, ah... serious injuries might
          disturb them, I know mine has no idea how I got the scars on my left
          hand...

          Ralg
          AnTir

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • windsingersmoon
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11, 2005
            I haven't checked in here, for awhile.
            Now I see you're talking about injuries.
            I got a mess-o-injuries to my off-hand...but only 2 good scars.
            a half inch one inside my wrist, just above my watch band (one of the
            rare occassions I had actually agreed to do a commission piece...bled
            all over the piece, so had to start another one....)

            And my 'pride-and-joy' a 1 inch one, at the base of my left index
            finger, where I sunk a 1" chisel to the bone, while trying to quickly
            skim out a recess in a carpentry piece/part of a trailer we were
            taking, just before we left for Pennsic.

            My lord had just spent 2 hours trying to light his forge 'the old-
            fashioned way......with flint and steel, and had Just gotten it
            finally lit, when the chisel slipped and went straight into the
            steadying hand, holding the edge of the board.

            It didn't hurt, yet. But I knew it was 'bad' I only remember a
            glimpse of bone at the bottom of the cut, before it welled with blood
            and I used my right thumb and forefinger to quickly clamp it closed.

            Than I hollered for my lord, perfectly calm, but hating to drag him
            away from his forge he'd been agonizing over so long. "Honey ! I
            hurt myself." (how bad?) "Hospital. NOW !"

            He got the forge extenguished. I got to the car, but had no free
            hand to open the door with. By the time we got to the Dr's office
            (it was still office hours) the dr. had to un-pry my right hand
            clamp, because I no-longer could feel anything to open it with.
            I'd done a very good job of 'the clamp'...he, then, had to pry the
            cut open, just to see how bad the damage was (and THAT HURT !!!)

            8/eight painful stitches later, I got to go home.
            My son met us with "I cleaned up all the blood, I didn't think you
            needed to come home and see it..." (Thankyou.....blood..?....'All-the-
            blood' The only 'blood' I remembered was what I saw well up in the
            cut......where had the rest of it come from ?)

            My next thought was "but what did I do with the chisel I'd been
            using ?"
            He said it was "right on the tailgate, where you put it"

            Ever the practical craftsman.....I'd apparently, safely set it down,
            before I'd used that hand to clamp the other one closed.

            We were due to leave for Pennsic, days later....too soon to get the
            stitches out. So I took cuticle scissors with us, to do the job
            myself. (and saved another 35 $, off the total Dr's bill for my
            stupidity)

            Amongst the carving community, there is a very true saying "It only
            takes one trip to the emergency room, to pay for a whole pile of
            carver's gloves"

            The next carving show I went to, my #1 shopping list item was a glove.
            My hand was still tender when the show came around. I found my glove
            (15 $) and slipped it on my hand, checking for fit. The next thing
            I knew, the dealer grabbed the fingers of my left hand, holding them
            tightly, and with his right, yanked a hook-bladed knife, down Hard,
            right where my tender scar was. I jumped, he took it for surprise
            (but it was mostly pain from the pressure of the knife)

            He grinned and let go of my hand.
            I yanked the glove off, to show him why I'd yelped.
            When he saw the bright red scar, he apologised, but then added "But
            if you'd had one of my gloves, you wouldn't of gotten hurt to begin
            with...." (yeah, and that's why I was shopping for one, now)

            I bought the one he'd attempted to amputate the finger on. I still
            have and use it, years later (I haven't been to Pennsic in 11 years,
            and it was 12 or 13, ago, when we took that trailer) The thumb of
            the glove is worn out, and through...it's missing a number of blue
            rubber speed bumps, but it still works great, and when I'm wearing,
            it, I can work safely and more quickly, without worrying when a
            knife/gouge/chisel is gonna wind up imbedded in human me.

            Oh yeah, one extra bit.
            Seems there's a main nerve that runs up your finger there.
            I was lucky to have just nicked mine, otherwise the finger would have
            become useless....two Dr's expressed grave concern that I'd severed
            the nerve.......I hadn't...but....still damaged it, some....

            An Sca-er, training in the medical field, who's specialty was nerve-
            regeneration, asked me about any wierd damage/effects, etc. to the
            finger....yeah....one....

            if I stroked the finger, on the inside/thumb side, I actually FELT
            it, on the opposite side of my finger !!!! Stroke it on the
            outside, and I felt it on the inside edge........ !..... He asked
            how long since the accident (I told him) and then he asked if the
            problem still existed ? (no) He just nodded his head "The nerve re-
            routed itself......that's what they're supposed to do, if the damage
            isn't too bad..."

            i.e. I'd lucked out.
            Knock-on-wood...I've never been seriously injured, again, since then.
            Mostly thanks to the glove which I keep in my traveling carving box.
            Shara
            http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.html
            http://www.housebarra.com/asa/

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
            <cunning@f...> wrote:

            > Mine went in a full inch between the thumb and first finger and I
            did not feel anything even with it squirting two feet.

            > James Cunningham

          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11, 2005
              Posted with the permission of the moderator.

              I have a new copy of "Oak Furniture: The British Tradition" by
              Chinnery. It retails for $100 on Amazon.com, but I'm selling it for
              $75 with shipping included (money orders and US buyers only please).
              The book has minor damage to the spine and dust cover, where it looks
              like it may have been dropped or bumped into. Pictures available upon
              request.

              First come, first servered to those that reply offlist to
              von_landstuhl@...

              Amazon link for reference:
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1851490132/102-0180361-6049708?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

              Thanks,